McKesson is in the business of better health and we touch the lives of patients in virtually every aspect of healthcare. We partner with payors, hospitals, physician offices, pharmacies, pharmaceutical companies and others across the spectrum of care to build healthier organizations that deliver better care to patients in every setting. We believe in the importance of strong, vital organizations because we know that patients can only be healthy when our system is healthy.
Every single McKesson employee contributes to our mission—by joining McKesson you act as a catalyst in a chain of events that helps millions of people all over the globe. Talented, compassionate people are the future of our company—and of healthcare. At McKesson, you’ll collaborate on the products and solutions that help us carry out our mission to improve lives and advance healthcare. Working here is your opportunity to shape an industry that’s vital to us all.
We understand the importance of a system that works together. Your expertise, drive and passion can help us improve everything we touch, from providers to payors to pharmacies. Join our team of leaders to begin a rewarding career.
Wherever you contribute here at McKesson, you will have the ability to make a real impact in the lives of others.
The Data Scientist for McKesson Data & Analytics (mDNA) will be based in our Alpharetta, GA office. As part of the mDNA team, the person will provide in-depth advanced analytical insights while working in a cross-functional team environment to solve business problems. The person will work with Senior Data Scientists, Engineers, and our IT Platform team to develop insights and analytics models to help our business partners drive value and build a competitive advantage. The role will require analytical skills and tactical responsibilities to provide insights and recommendations. Position Description The Data Scientist will perform the following:
- Project Support:
- Support a cross-functional team and provide in-depth data insights for complex business problems that can be approached with advanced analytics
- Work closely with data scientists and engineers to deliver results
- Coordinate and collaborate with program managers and otherinternal stakeholders, including gathering requirements and modeling criteria
- Leverage tools and resources to plan, evaluate and execute strategic initiatives
- Continuously improve processes and operations
- Advanced Analytics:
- Rapidly perform exploratory data analysis, generate and test working hypotheses, and uncover interesting trends and relationships
- Analyze and model structured data and implement algorithms to support analysis using advanced statistical and mathematical methods from statistics, data mining, econometrics, and operations research
- Perform advanced analytics techniques to mine unstructured data, using methods such as document clustering, topic analysis, named entity recognition, and document classification (machine learning and natural language processing is a plus)
- Strong understanding of large database mining tools and statistical languages utilized to efficiently build approaches and execute on analytical use cases. Specific experience with Python, R, Spark, Hadoop (MapReduce, HBASE), Hive, Pig, Java, Trifacta, H2O, Tableau and SQL is preferred. Experience with SAP and IBM DataStage is also beneficial.
- Communicate results and educate others through reports and presentations
8+ years of experience and 2+ years of managerial experience
- Strong quantitative analysis background and experience in working with large, complex data systems to aggregate, organize, and prepare data for use in business analysis
- Strong mathematical background with strong knowledge in at least one of the following fields: statistics, data mining, statistics, operations research, econometrics, and/or information retrieval (machine learning and natural language processing is a plus)
- Deep experience in extracting, cleaning, preparing and modeling data
- Experience with command-line scripting, data structures, and algorithms; ability to work in a Linux environment
- Data visualization and/or power point presentation skills to effectively communicate insights is a plus
- Proficiency in analysis (i.e. R, Python) packages
- Up to 10 – 15% travel may be required (domestic and international)
- Bachelordegree with a minimum of 5 years of related experiencepreferred or MS with a minimum of 2 years of related experience or PhD, with degree in Physics, Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics, Econometrics, or related fields
Additional Knowledge & Skills
- Able to use sound judgment and prioritize
- Must be flexible, team oriented and able to accept and create change
- Fast and capable learner
- Enjoys working with numbers and data sets
- Enjoys process improvement projects
- Mature confidence/integrity
- Results oriented, enthusiastic, creative thinker
BA or BS degree or equivalent experience