Do you have the media experience to effect positive change?
The Air Line Pilots Association, International (ALPA), the largest airline pilot union in the world and the largest non-governmental aviation safety organization in the world (representing over 57,000 pilots at 33 U.S. and Canadian airlines), seeks an experienced Sr. Digital Media Coordinator for our Herndon, Virginia, office. The Sr. Digital Media Coordinator provides social and traditional media relations strategy and execution for ALPA-wide communication initiatives. S/he will apply his or her skills toward the advancement of ALPA’s advocacy efforts in Washington, D.C. and Ottawa and collective bargaining goals with its member pilot groups, as well as other communications initiatives. S/he will work with ALPA staff and pilot leaders, providing professional support in all areas of communications, executing programs and campaigns to advance the interests of all members of the Association and of the piloting profession. S/he will serve as a lead social media contact for ALPA and will assist with supporting day-to-day traditional media relations as needed, providing strategic counsel and executing on various media campaigns and strategy.
Responsibilities include developing, implementing, and analyzing social media strategy, plans, and content; ensuring consistency and quality of content across all social media outlets; supporting ALPA’s earned media operations, serving as a liaison to the media, ALPA subject matter experts, and spokespersons, continually fostering relationships to build trust and become a valuable resource; writing and editing materials, including digital and online products such as blog posts, statements, reports, presentations, new releases, and other correspondence that generates positive media coverage of aviation and pilot-related topics and advances ALPA’s policy objectives with key legislators and regulatory agencies; writing, editing, and designing social media postings utilizing text, video, and imagery that conforms to ALPA’s brand; developing and executing Facebook and Twitter advertising campaigns, digital media ad buys, and Google Ad Words that supports specific ALPA advocacy and pilot group initiatives; compiling data from ALPA’s social media monitoring resources; creating and maintaining media contact lists and an online social media calendar; packaging and marketing existing content such as press releases, video, magazine articles, and legislative positions for social media consumption; and, creating and disseminating social mediacampaign plans for special events and other communication initiatives.
Interested applicants are requested to submit online portfolio link(s) showing previous work.
Local, national, and international travel: 5 - 10%.
Minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- Able to work flexible schedule on short-notice as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in relevant area, e.g., Communications, English, Journalism, Marketing, or Public Relations, from an accredited college or university required; or, the equivalent combination of education and experience. Master’s degree in a communications field is desirable.
- Four (4) years of public relations experiencerequired, five (5) or more years preferred. Expertise in digital communications, media relations, and/or political campaigns strongly preferred.
- Strong social media relations skills required. Proven track record pitching media and securing story placements preferred.
· Proficiency working across traditional and digital media strongly preferred.
· Experience handling numerous projects at the same time.
· Strong writing skills with command of grammar, syntax, and usage.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, oral and written, for effective interaction with internal staff, external contacts, and pilots.
· Ability to effectively interpret and disseminate complex information about aviation safety, the piloting profession, labor contracts, and collective bargaining and communicate for public understanding.
· Works well under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Self-starter with strong organizational skills.
- Software: Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel required; SharePoint, Adobe Creative Suite, WordPress, Drupal, Twix, or equivalent, preferred.
Note: The physical demands described herein are characteristic of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential physical activities of this position described below.
Constantly operates a computer/smartphone/tablet. Vision, corrected or uncorrected, must be acute and discriminating. Regularly required to maintain a stationary position, move about the office, determine what others have said or written, and converse with others and exchange accurate information.
Regularly required to sit, stand, bend, reach, and move about the office. May also include occasional bending, stooping, squatting, and/or pushing and pulling or moving, e.g., to pack, unpack, and/or move cases.
Occasionally required to move, raise, reach, and/or retrieve binders, books, boxes, and files up ten (10) pounds (lbs.). While on travel, could be responsible to move, raise, reach, and/or retrieve binders, boxes, cases, and/or files weighing as much as 25 lbs. (Assistance may not always be available.)
ALPA offers competitive salaries with excellent benefits, including:
· 26 days paid vacation and holidays per year;
· Generous sick and bereavement leave;
· Generous health care benefits – PPO, two HMO’s (where available) and a High Deductible Health Plan which includes coverage for medical, dental, and vision benefits for employee, spouse, and/or dependent children;
· Company-paid premiums for disability and life insurance;
· $2 for $1 matching 401(k) retirement savings plan; Roth 401k;
· Flexible Spending and Health Savings accounts; and
· Retiree health plan.
The Air Line Pilots Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Relocation Not Provided