Req #: 10302
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Corning's Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning’s existing & emerging businesses.
We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning’s businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning’s manufacturing as a differential advantage.
Scope of Position:
You will be a member of the fast growing Manufacturing Software and Analytical Solutions group. Our mission is to provide impactful software, advancedanalytics and manufacturing systems expertise. You will apply computer science and experience across a broad spectrum of technical applications ranging from high speed embedded measurement systems to large scale manufacturing execution systems. Your desire to learn and apply mature software development processes will enable you to contribute and interact with existing teams across Corning. Our teams are comprised of a diverse range of skills and expertise and face a variety of technical challenges. We are looking for those with computer science, strong computer information systems and software engineering degrees. We will also consider other engineering degrees along with a demonstration of strong software skills. You will have the ability to listen and seek out the true needs of our manufacturing partners. You are curious and eager to improve manufacturing processes, technically savvy, and have an overwhelming desire toprovide impactful and useful solutions. The successful candidate will have a strong desire to stay technically relevant and to become a technical subject matter expert in integrated systems.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Producing high quality software and related software development artifacts.
- Performing or leading system design, systems analysis and programming activities.
- Conducting practical debugging and troubleshooting in complex applications and systems.
- Following best practices, processes, and using architectural tools to develop a large variety of software solutions.
- Documenting and performing thorough unit and functional testing of your code, seeking reviews to ensure high quality bug free code.
- Capture and documenting designs and system knowledge.
- Demonstrating a strong work ethic, a “can do” attitude and being highly productive.
- Learning new technologies and developing tools to remain abreast of current technology, while leveraging your skills in legacy technologies to support existing platform development activities.
- Taking on what’s needed to help the team and the company meet objectives.
Up to 25% travel and will involve international travel.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
- 8:00AM – 5:00PM
- 40 hour weeks and will involve overtime during certain projects or deadlines
BS Computer Science, Software Engineering or other engineering majors with strong software skills. Ideally, candidate will have MS or commensurate experience.
Required Years and Area of Experience: 0-5 years
- Strong programmer/Computer Science background and interest
- Strong knowledge in programming language(s): .Net (C#, VB), Java, C++, Python
- C# or VB .net development experience in peripheral devices such as cameras, sensors or motion controls
- Experience with algorithms, parallel programming and memory management
- Database experience (tables, indices, views, UDFs, partitions, reports) with Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL
- Strong knowledge of OO Design principles
- Understanding of IIS (web hosting), web development, deployment and support
- Understanding of software project life cycle (Development/Deployment/Maintain)
- Experience in following a structured software development process (SCRUM or Agile)
- Experience with at least one of the following revision control systems: Subversion (SVN), Microsoft Visual SourceSafe (VSS), Microsoft Team Foundation Server (TFS).
- WCF, WPF, MVVM
- Virtualization (VMWare or VirtualBox)
- Familiarity with UML
- Technical experience with software integration techniques
- Ability to communicate with the Customer both from an Engineering and I/T requirements perspective.
- Demonstrable experience designing, building datasets and processes using cloud-based storage and analysis platforms, AWS, Hadoop and Spark
- Ability to design and debug multi-threaded applications