At First Interstate we value our employees and take pride in the benefit programs offered to them. This role is key to ensuring our offerings are competitive in the marketplace while being cost effective for the organization. Another key area is leading continuous improvement efforts for our internal benefits processes, such as open enrollment, FLMA, etc. This leadership role reports directly to the Chief HR Officer.
Administers all the employee benefit programs offered by First Interstate BancSystem, Inc. This individual will ensure that all benefit plans are in compliance with ERISA, the IRS, and other regulatory agencies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Responsible for the administration of the following plans and programs which include but are not limited to both self insured and fully insured health, dental, vision and prescription drug insurance, supplemental Medicare insurance, group and supplemental life insurance, long-term disability, 401k and profit sharing, workers compensation, and flexible spending for all active and retired employees and their dependents.
- Develop employee benefit policies and recommend strategic changes or new policies to the HR Director and Benefits Committee.
- Demonstrate superior financial analysis and reporting skills, with strong personal computer skills.
- Develops, presents and communicates educational material to employees/directors/ retirees and their dependents regarding the availability of employee benefits, interpreting plan provisions and overseeing/coordinating the open enrollment periods.
- Ensures that all benefit plans are in compliance with ERISA, the IRS, and other regulatory agencies.
- Work effectively with vendors and consultants to offer the most cost effective benefit programs.
- Responsible for managing two Benefit Specialists including annual performance reviews, hiring and terminating decisions, and coaching and developing staff.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES
Candidate must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Excellent leadership and management skills. Excellent analytical skills and ability to present to groups of people. Team orientated. Ability to prioritize workload and remain adaptable under pressure. Experience with Windows XP, MS Word & MS Excel required. Experience with MS PowerPoint helpful.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from four-year College or university. Minimum of 5-7 years experience in Benefit Administration including program design, modifications and compliance.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public. Ability to solicit information as needed from consultants and legal counsel. Ability to work with groups.
Ability to calculate figures, and perform spreadsheet analysis.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and sit. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.