The principal role of this position is to execute initiatives to develop and deploy advanced (model-based) control technology to achieve significant improvements in manufacturing process capability and performance. This is to be accomplished by: Developing concepts for model-based control strategies to improve process yield and quality; Providing designs for prototype systems, conducting evaluationtrials, and commissioning systems; and Developing software to implement process model and control technology for off-line process analysis tools and on-line manufacturing systems. Additional responsibilities include monitoring emerging and existing technology and recommending R&D options to Alcoa’s plants.
- Accountable for completion of projects targeted at the development and deployment of advanced control technology, specifically to Arconic's Global Rolled Products' rolling mills and related processes, to achieve significant improvements in manufacturing process capability and performance.
- Accountable for technical implementation of advanced control system deployment efforts in the area of Arconic's Rolling Mill supervisory control technology, developing enhancements to said technology, and working on interdisciplinary teams to leverage the technology to additional processes throughout Arconic.
- Interface with both internal (Business Unit) customers, engineers in GRP's Center of Excellence, and select external consultants to deploy supervisory control techology throughout GRP, and possibly throughout Arconic.
Specific focus on development, deployment, and application of model based supervisory control systems for hot and cold mills including mill setup, adaption, profile/flatness control and temperature control.
- Completion of individual projects focused on deployment and maintenance of Arconic's advanced control technology.
- Understand, configure, integrate, deploy, and maintain Arconic's existing Rolling Mill supervisory, model-based, control technology.
- Extend concepts of Arconic's advanced control technology standards to like materials processes throughout Arconic
- Extend concepts of Arconic's rolling mill models to fit new and unseen capabilities in monitoring and control as needed
- Provide functional guidance to teams of programmers and engineers, including external contractors, on the deployment of Arconic's rolling mill model-based control technology
- Collaborate on projects to foster a collaborative environment within the Digital Manufacturing and Automation Technologies division and across the Arconic Technology Center.
Expand network across Arconic's operational locations, CoEs, and departments throughout ATC to proactively propose projects that meet business needs.
- Masters degree in Electrical, Mechanical or Chemical Engineering from an accredited institution
- Minimum 1 year academic experience in application of model based control
- Minimum 1 year academic experience in manufacturing processes
- Minimum 1 year academic experience in programming in C/C++, MATLAB
- Employees must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
- This position is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) which requires U.S. person status. ITAR defines U.S. person as an U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), Political Asylee, or Refugee.
- M.S. degree in Electrical, Mechanical or Chemical Engineering
- 2-3 years experience in application of model based control in industrial processes
- 2-3 years experience in metals manufacturing processes in an industrial environment
- 3 years programming experience in C/C++, MATLAB in a Linux/Unix environment
- 2 years experience in an industrial R&D facility
- 3 years experience in metals rolling industrial or R&D environment
- Experience with software development methodology and ability to develop software for real-time process control system environments
- Fundamental understanding of metals manufacturing processes
- Capability to lead projects of significant scope and technical complexity.
- Ability to clearly communicate both technical and business aspects of R&D projects.
Critical Thinking - Ability to analyze problems, define key parameters, and propose and implement effective solutions.