Purpose of Job
The Senior Financial Planning Consultant is responsible for providing comprehensive financial planning expertise to high net worth clients of Scotia Wealth Management within an assigned territory. The successful candidate is expected to work in a close knit team environment with other Scotia Wealth Management specialists including investment advisors, portfolio managers, private banking, estate and trust, insurance, and taxation to provide our clients with a superior client experience. This position focuses on planning for existing High Net Worth clients of Scotia Wealth Management rather than on new external clients.
The Senior Financial Planning Consultant drives results through planning activity where sophisticated high net worth clients are introduced to you to design complex plans tailored to their specific needs. Working with other internal professionals, this knowledge based role is expected to spot opportunites that suit the client and make referrals to other internal experts in order toprovide meaningful, comprehensive solutions to clients in a proactive manner.
This unique Wealth Management career opportunity provides a competitive base salary and bonus package, pension plan, competitive health benefits package and an annual 4+ week vacation entitlement.
- Lead the planning discovery process, independently or in partnership with internal client relationship team members
- Prepare & review complex financial plans and/or executive summaries incorporating various wealth strategies, in partnership with internal Scotia Wealth Management Specialists & Wealth Advisors
- Present financial plans / wealth strategies in partnership with Wealth Advisors
- Update financial plans as and if necessary after presentation; Understand implementation status of plan recommendations. Provide support for periodic reviews.
- Develop & sustain external COI relationships for mutual benefit – expertise for clients & source of referrals
- Work with Financial Planning and Advisory Services team to develop and maintain best practices, planning standards, technical and compliance knowledge.
- Complete ongoing reporting of plans completed, opportunities identified, and implementation status of planning action items.
- 5 years of work experience with HNW clients - investable assets ≥ $1,, & complex financial planning needs
- University degree
- Accredited financial planning designation – CFP, RFP, Pl.Fin – IQPF (Quebec)
- Life insurance licensed (but cannot practice)
- Professional designations – CA/CPA, LLB
- Canadian Securities Course
- Additional estate, tax, business succession education, expertise &/or work experience
- Expert level of knowledge re: financial planning process: capital needs, investments, risk management, retirement planning, estate planning, cash management, taxation, employee benefits & software – i.e. Naviplan
- Expert level of communication & presentation skills in relation to HNW target clients
- Expert level of knowledge & understanding of Scotia Wealth Management client value proposition and service & product offerings