Director of Risk Management
Applyfor this Position
Position can be based in one of the main office locations - Houston, TX • Greenville, SC • Durham, NC • Charlotte, NC • Chicago, IL. Qualified candidates must be willing to travel.
The Director of Risk Management is responsible for planning, managing and coordinating all strategic and tactical risk management functions including insurance program oversight at all levels and contract review as it relates to risk management and insurance.
Regarding the Insurance Programs, DRM will work closely with external Insurance Industry consultants/brokers at both a tactical level including management of the annual renewals but also at a strategic level to ensure implementation of best practices and uptake throughout the organization to drive results. Balancing the right insurance structure, coverages and limits while achieving the most competitive cost will be a key responsibility.
Regarding Contract Review the DRM will work closely with the General Counsel, the executive team and our insurance broker. A core function of this position is strategic and tactical anticipation of business risks and the ability to effectively respond with contractual and financialrisk solutions.
The DRM will work closely with the President, Exec VP, COO, General Counsel and CFO and report to the COO. The individual should exert leadership and creativity in developing programs to keep pace with the evolving construction industry and growth of the Company’s business.
Insurance & Risk Management Programs
1. Work with Company operations, safety team, brokers, insurers and other outside service providers to implement programs, procedures and approaches to eliminate, mitigate, transfer, reduce and control risks.
2. Oversight of corporate insurance programs in the areas of General Liability, Umbrella/Excess, Builders Risk, Workers Compensation, Defense Base Act, Environmental, Property, Professional Liability, Directors & Officers, Subguard, and CCIP.
3.Develop and maintain relationships with providers including insurance brokers, claims administrators, actuaries, loss control specialists, and insurers.
4. Work with our broker partner to drive the company’s continuous improvement of Risk Management.
5. Maintain all insurance records and policies.
6. Provide periodic reports to management on the status of the Company’s insurance program.
7. Work with project teams and brokers to resolve insurance claims.
8. Conduct the necessary corporate insurance program training for project teams.
9. Obtain specialty coverage quotes as required by owner contracts.
10. Develop insurance costing models for billing rates and divisional allocations.
11. Continually review the Company’s insurance program for enhancements and coverage improvements.
12. Quarterback the annual Insurance Renewals.
1. Review all contractual terms related to overall risk management issues as well as general internal guideline compliance and insurance issues as necessary.
2. Partner with General Counsel as necessary to develop consistent contract terms and conditions as they relate to insurance and risk management. Review exceptions/amendments as necessary
3. Advise management on changes necessary for keeping pace with advances in the Company’s business and within the overall insurance industry.
4. Make practical suggestions to reduce or eliminate risk when developing or negotiating contractual terms
1. Participate in all major go/no goes with the top executive team on major pursuit decisions with regard to client risk profiles, requested contract terms, etc. .
1. Participate to ensure all outstanding claims are properly valued and reserved to provide accurate data to the Chief Financial Officer, and other senior leaders.
2. Working with top management assist in driving claims to closure in the most cost effective manner.
3. Act as an advisory resource for our Project Managers in support assistance of claims avoidance regarding certain project specific required technical reviews and/or responses.
1. Own the Subguard and CCIP programs in terms of administration, implementation, continuous monitoring and management of both programs.
2. Interface continuously with management and the sales organization and assist in the marketing and selling of both products.
3. Interface continuously with our broker and specifically the broker Subguard and CCIP teams regarding best practices to maximize utilization, minimize risk and manage effectively.
1. Develop, implement and monitor continuous training modules for Risk Management at all levels through the company.
1. At least 8-10 years as a risk manager in the construction industry with experience assessing risk, mitigating risk, reviewing contract documents, placing and managing an insurance program to include general liability, builders risk, workers compensation, professional and environmental liability, controlled insurance programs, other ancillary coverages and oversight of claims activities;
2. Familiar with constructionlaw and licensing requirements in the Southeast, Midwest and South Central Regions of US.
3. Must be able to work independently, multitask in a fast-paced environment, motivate individuals for overall performance results, and develop effective relationships with key project stakeholders
4. Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Sciences degree;Strong written, communication, organizational and analytical skills
5. Ability to assess and analyze data and make risk financing and risk control recommendations to project management and assist with prompt resolution of issues
6. Familiarity with project budgets
7. Proficiency in standard operations, accounting and communication software (Microsoft Office Suite, Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and insurance compliance tracking systems;
1. Prior experience with Vista by Viewpoint ERP system is a plus
2. Prior experience in a general contractor environment is very beneficial