Responsible for coordinating all aspects of the Center for Fetal Diagnosis and Treatment from patient’s initial referral through the patient careexperience and ultimately post-delivery or treatment follow-up. Coordinates of patient services pre-consult, during initial consult and for the duration of care. Maintains relationships with referral physicians to assure appropriate contact, patient follow-up and maintenance of referral patterns. Responsible for the coordination of on-going care of obstetrical patients including relocation, appointment scheduling and on-going family support. Ensures referral to appropriate support services and educational opportunities with sub-specialists throughout the CHOP network and regionally. Possesses knowledge of perinatal standards, as well as fetal and neonatal surgical interventions and treatment. May fill more than one position.
- Develops and implements an ongoing plan for the Center for Fetal Diagnosis and Treatment program in conjunction with the Executive Director to include but not limited to assessment of internal and external resources and constraints for growth, current and projected service analysis, documentation criteria and program evaluation.
- Provides/coordinates health care to Center patients/families in the hospital and outpatient clinic.
- Assesses health status and identifies health care needs.
- Develop/facilitate a comprehensive patient care management plan in collaboration with the medical team and other appropriate health care members.
- Communicates plan of care and proactively manages/resolves to meet quality/cost standards.
- Provide counseling and crisis intervention as necessary to patients/ families.
- Foster continuity of care within the center and health care system (CHOP and HUP) and serve as a patient/family advocate.
3. Develops, maintains, expands and tracks physician/patient referral patterns.
- Works closely with physician liaisons to maintain, expand and improve MD referral base through educational opportunities and CME courses
- Maintains comprehensive weekly CFDT patient list for multidisciplinary team review including having ongoing knowledge and status reports on all active CFDT patients
- Obtains consistent follow-up after evaluation and procedures through direct patient contact or via referring physician.
- Works closely with the IS team to ensure the fetal database is functional and complete with appropriate patient information, demographics, clinical summaries and follow-up, as well as development of further statistical reporting and capture of CFDT patients, procedures and encounters.
4. Provide/coordinate care and management (which may include night and/or weekend responsibilities)
- Provide instruction in disease process, medical plan, health and skill teaching to patient/family both independently and during the multidisciplinary team consult
- Assess parent’s psychosocial and support needs, initiating appropriate referrals.
- Communicate patient status and ongoing plan of care to referring physician daily. Provide discharge summary to referring physician at time of discharge.
Job Responsibilities (Continued)
- Collaborate with other health care team members, referring physician and family in planning and coordinating follow-up prior to discharge.
- Participate in appropriate meetings relevant to patient’s management, i.e. team meetings, center annual reunion.
- Participate in the development of patient management plans to proactively manage and meet quality and cost standards.
- EDUCATION - Contribute to the ongoing educational and professional development of staff, students and residents in the area of prenatal diagnosis, treatment and neonatal surgery.
- Participate in educational activities which promote quality patient care.
- Participate in community outreach educational programs.
- Preceptor for nursing students.
- Attend appropriate surgical management conferences.
- Present at lectures, seminars and/or conferences.
- Participate in the development of patient educational materials i.e. videos, web education, parent instructions, outreach materials etc.
- Participate in regional CME conferences
- CONSULTATION - Function as a consultant to nursing staff, physicians and others in the area of fetal and neonatal surgery as well as support and ancillary staff
- Consult with health care providers within the hospital and community regarding practice standards.
- Contribute to expansion of the body of knowledge in the maternal-fetal-neonatal area.
- Evaluate and disseminate research findings.
- Utilize research findings in own practice and encourage staff to do the same.
- Participate in clinical research.
- Contribute to the literature.
- Assist/maintain updates with commission on Human Research Projects.
- In consultation with IS/data manager, prepare analysis and reports as needed.
- PROFESSIONALISM - Maintain current knowledge and competency in the area of fetal and neonatal surgery in professional practice.
- Meet Department of Nursing and other regulatory agency requirements including licensure, quality improvement, infection and environmental control, and safety.
- Participate in writing of standardized procedures, protocols, patient care guides and annual revisions.
- Participate in professional organizations
Job Responsibilities (Continued)
Required Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
RN - Registered Nurse
Required Education and Experience
- BSN required with minimum of 5-7 years NICU and/or comprehensive perinatal experience.
- Previous experience in complex clinical settings that required coordination of multiple services in a multidisciplinary fashion
Preferred Education, Experience & Cert/Lic
- Master’s Degree in Nursing strongly preferred.
- Previous experience in teaching especially in academic settings and formal educational program development preferred.
Additional Technical Requirements
- Advanced physical and psychosocial assessment skills for pregnant women, mother and children and families across all developmental levels.
- Critical analysis and problem–solving skills.
- Ability to work independently; ability to interpret laboratory and radiographic data.
- Ability to work collaboratively through consultation with other health care team providers.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing in English.
Req ID: 5154