Req #: 838
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in speciality glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Corning’s Environmental Technologies segment manufactures ceramic substrates and filter products for emissions control in mobile and stationary applications around the world.
Scope of Position:
Measurements Engineer in the Corning Environmental Technologies (CET) Division Engineering Measurements & Controls group. Serve as a measurements resource for division process improvement and capital expansion projects. Division level contact for manufacturing support of installed systems. Project focus will be implementation of vision based automation in Corning's manufacturing plants and processes.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Assigned to engineering project teams that delivers automation and process machine systems to Corning’s manufacturing plants and processes
- Support troubleshooting, updating and enhancing existing plant measurement systems.
- Provide support and implement customer C# programs that interact with motion control systems and robotics.
- Participate in the development of software architectures, software functional specification, and system integration requirements that will satisfy process and manufacturing requirements
- Understand and implement hardware and software for the control’s systems.
- Interface with external system integrators and machine builders to successfully deliver fully integrated process equipment systems to Corning’s plants on-time, on-budget, and that satisfy performance measures
- Actively participate in all phases of the project including design, fabrication, off-line integration and testing, installation, production start-up support, training of plant personnel and technology transfer
- Report on project activities on a pre-determined basis. Ensure results meet the customer’s requirements as well as applicable national and international equipment design standards.
- Individual must be capable of executing project assignments, in a team based environment.
Projects Involved with:
- Member of cross-functional project teams responsible for concept generation / certification, technology development, detail design / build, and start-up of automation and process machine systems in manufacturing
- 25% - 50% international and/or domestic (average of two weeks at a time)
- Travel to Environmental Technologies remote plant locationsdomestic and international ~25% travel requirements
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s in Computer and/or Electrical Engineering, Physics, Mathematics and minimum of one year experience (can include Co-ops and internships)
- Familiarity in C# or structured text programming..
- Knowledge of databases
- Knowledge of electrical/controls, instrumentation (e.g. sensors) and vision systems technologies.
- Background in computer programs like Halcon, Matrox Vision Library,MatLab, Labview, WiT, etc
- Base understanding of statistical analysis such as histograms, regression, standard deviation, gauge R&R, etc.
- Experience with image spatial calibration (2D and 3D)
- Course work or experience with using tools such as AutoCad, Matlab, Simulink etc.
- Works well with other disciplines (process, mechanical engineering)
- Controls/Electrical Experience in Manufacturing
- Basic project management skills (e.g. scoping, budgeting, timelines etc.)
- Some experience in manufacturing environment
- Some exposure to high powered laser systems
- Some knowledge of equipment engineering, process support and debug
- Experience with precision optical systems
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Interpersonal skills – engaging, enabling, open
- Strong organizational skills