AbbVie (NYSE:ABBV) is a global, research-based biopharmaceutical company formed in 2013 following separation from Abbott Laboratories.The company's mission is to use its expertise, dedicated people and unique approach to innovation to develop and market advanced therapies that address some of the world's most complex and serious diseases.AbbVie employs approximately 30,000 people worldwide and markets medicines in more than 170 countries.
The Medical Science Liaison (MSL) is a field based scientific expert that strategically supports the research and business objectives of a designated therapeutic area across the product life cycle. MSLs are the primary communicators of Abbvie science within a specific geography with healthcare professionals, and MSLs are viewed as peer scientific experts in a designated therapeutic area. They combine strong business acumen, market awareness, as well as clinical expertise, and serve as a conduit of information and field medical insight to a cross functional stakeholder group internally within AbbVie. Based on therapeutic needs and product life cycles, teams will focus on certain responsibilities to a greater or lesser degree.
The territory includes: CT, MA, RI, VT, NH, ME
Key Responsibilities Include:
- External expert (opinion leader) cultivation:
Identifies, gains access to, and develops professional relationships with external experts in therapeutic areas of interest within assigned geography. Provides education relative to disease state and AbbVie products across the product lifecycle to healthcare providers and researchers.
- Serves as a medical/scientific resource to healthcare providers through answering unsolicited medical questions, and addressing other clinically related medical information issues.
- Clinical trialsupport:
Supports research initiatives across development at the request of R&D to include but not limited to, site evaluation and identification, recruitment, investigator meetings, external expert identification, and study management.
- Project management:
Works withinternal Medical Affairs customers to develop and execute a territory plan designed to support and meet shared business objectives.
- Inputs and maintains internal database as it relates to activities in their geography.
- Prepares marketplace in new therapeutic areas of interest, which includes creating awareness and relationships for AbbVie in the Medical community.
- Serves as a scientific resource to commercial partners, as appropriate, to support activities
- Self Development:
Develops and communicates a professional growth plan. Continually educates self on global market issues, trends, and product knowledge as it pertains to specific business responsibilities in key therapeutic areas.
- Takes responsibility for and actively manages professional development.
- Advanced degreerequired (i.e. Pharm D, MD/DO, PhD, PA or NP) in a relevant scientific discipline. Doctorate strongly preferred in a health science or clinical discipline.
- Significant industry experience in relevant therapeutic area may be accepted in lieu of education requirements.
- At least 2years of clinical, scientific research or industry related experience or equivalent required.
- Previous pharmaceutical industry experience within relevant scientific discipline preferred.
- The MSL must possess advanced problem solving and analytic skills to be able to identify, and translate specific territory and corporate.