The Superintendent of Maintenance of way will prioritize, plan, allocate and monitor personnel, equipment and materials necessary to perform the maintenance, inspections and construction tasks and the handling of materials and scrap of the Maintenance of Way Division.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Supervise directly or indirectly, the activities of a large workforce by determining goals and objectives.
- Remain current with the MBTA's Safety Plan as well as the position's outline responsibilities.
- Prepare and administer the section's annual budget.
- Establish engineering designs and maintenance standards.
- Plan, direct and coordinate projects related to transit system tracks and Right-of-Way and force account projects.
- Prepare and monitor work programs such as track rehabilitation, snow removal and facility beautification.
- Assist in the planning and monitoring of the work performed by outside consultants.
- Plan, direct, develop and coordinate the training of all Maintenance of Way employees.
- Recommend replacement of existing equipment and direct the specifications for new equipment.
- Schedule the utilization of equipment, delivery of materials and the removal of scrap materials on various projects.
- Respond to each inquiry, whether from a customer, vendor or co-worker in a courteous and professional manner.
- Respond or report to work as directed by supervisory personnel for emergencies, extreme weather conditions, or any other adnormal conditions that impair service or the safety of service, twenty-four (24) hours per day, seven days (7) days per week.
- Work any and all shifts and/or locations as assigned or directed.
- Drive a company or personal vehicle to visit work sites and to assist at emergencies and/or events as needed.
- Uphold the rights and interests of the of the Authority while building and maintaining an effective relationship with employees.
- Assist in the management of a workforce by ensuring the fair and consistent application and strict adherence to the rules, regulations, collective bargaining agreement (if applicable) and policies of the Authority including the EEO, Anti-Discrimination and Anti-Harassment and Anti-Retaliation policies.
- Perform related duties and projects as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering or a related technical field from an accredited institution.
- Six (6) years of experience in rail inspection, maintenance and/or construction including switches, cross-overs, and interlockings.
- Related experience in a supervisory capacity.
- Effective organizational analytical, multi-tasking and interpersonal skills.
- Working knowledge of Word, Excel or database applications.
- The ability to pass: a Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) check; background screenings; and the MBTA's medical requirements, including a physical examination and drug and alcohol screening.
- Have excellent customer service and conflict resolution skills.
- Effectively communicate with customers, employees and vendors.
- Have a satisfactory work record including overall employment, job performance, discipline and safety records. For internal candidates, the aforementioned applies to the two (2) years immediately prior to the closing date of this posting. Infractions and/or offenses occurring after the closing of the posting and before the filling of a vacancy may preclude a candidate from consideration.
- The ability to provide internal and external customer's with a courteous and professional experience.
- Have the ability to work any and all shifts and/or locations as assigned or directed; be available to work twenty four (24) hours per day, seven (7) days per week.
- Have the ability to supervise and work effectively with a diverse workforce.
- High school diploma or equivalent (G.E.D.) from an accredited institution with the ability to comprehend, communicate and respond to instructions, orders, signs, notices, inquiries, etc. in English. Additional years of experience in rail inspection, maintenance and/or construction including switches, cross-overs, and interlockings may be substituted for the degree requirement.
- Additional years of related experience in a supervisory capacity
Job Number 17-16352