Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum'sfinancial protection benefits help protect more than 33 million working people and their families from thefinancial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
This position isresponsiblefor managing the design, development, implementation, measurement, and maintenance of large scale, complex training solutions on multiple platforms. This includes leading large scale, high-level business initiatives. The incumbent also has management responsibility for a team of training consultants.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages, develops and mentors a team of designers with diverse skillsets.
- Responsibility for managing the day-to-day work of the team, including the assignment of training projects, monitoring progress and ensuring the effective implementation of training solutions.
- Responsible for managing the fulfillment of training materials that are available through Colonial Life College or Unum US Sales training.
- Leads large scale, high-level training and/or business initiatives/programs.
- Designs, develops and delivers training solutions on multiple platforms (web-based, live training such as classroom or on-line, job aids, etc.)
- Track, monitor and coach employees to attainment of training project goals.
- Collaborates with senior leaders/key stake holders (internal/external), assigned business contacts, SMEs and other training peers to ensure appropriate, effective responses to ongoing training needs and solutions that are aligned with business priorities.
- Completes performance needs assessments and recommends interventions (training and non-training) utilizing business performance data.
- Accountable for making sure senior leadership is aware of learner and program performance/metrics.
- Measures and monitors effectiveness and operational impacts of training solutions on business results by analyzing before/after change in business indicators.
- Research and make recommendations for use of vendors, products, etc. related to both in-house and on-line delivery of programs, resources, and assessments and manage vendor relations and contracts.
- Builds strong team focus and uses appropriate influencing and negotiation strategies to deliver results/achieve business goals.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in education, business, training and development or related field or equivalent related work experience is required.
- Minimum 5-7 years (combined) business, financial industry, business functional experience and/or experience in training, education or organizational development.
- Strong track record in managing concurrent multiple projects, tasks, and priorities in a fast–paced, changing, demanding environment with quality results.
- Proven experience in the application of adult education theory and measurement of results in blended learning environments (classroom and on-line learning).
- Significant experience in the design and development of selection, assessment, and human performance improvement strategies, processes and programs.
- Ability to understand and apply core tenants of training design/methodology (i.e. know and designs “good training”) and is able to synthesize good instructional design methodology with alternative delivery methods.
- Demonstrated superior interpersonal and verbal/written communication skills
- Excellent people leadership and management skills. Experience in leading teams with direct reports or experience in effectively managing a team without direct authority.
- Demonstrated ability to form strong partnerships and work effectively with all levels of management.
- Demonstrated consultation/negotiation/facilitation skills.
- Fully understands company business strategy and shareholder business/financial implications of not meeting business goals.
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.