This position is accountable for the leadership and daily operations of technology and staff that directly or indirectly support the company’s desktop computing environment, including help desk operations, device setup, desktop hardware and software support, troubleshooting, feasibility studies and time and cost estimates for new desktop system implementations. Ensure that the Desktop Services team provides the highest level of customer service support to our physicians and end users. Directs and assigns Help Desk and Desktop Analysts and evaluates the staff’s performance. Prepare activity and progress reports on the status of projects and Help Desk calls/tickets. Coordinates activities and establishes priorities to ensure deadlines are met within budget.
- Provides input to the preparation and revision of three to five-year computing plans as it relates to end user devices managed and supported by the Desktop Services team. Has budget responsibility for Desktop Services including assigned staff, other operational expenses and capital plans for new desktop equipment and equipment refresh.
- Work with physicians, administration and IT to prioritize projects, plan support, assign work and coordinate activities between Desktop Services and all other departments. Promptly notify departments of issues that affect them and create an environment that is “easy to do business with.”
- Develop and maintain a working knowledge of all aspects of desktop computing technologies. Understand the relationships among clinical and business applications and the infrastructure. Develop and maintain a good working knowledge of the functions and procedures of otherdepartments of the Polyclinic, particularly as they relate to desktop device requirements. Review, revise, negotiate and recommend approval of vendor contracts for approved hardware, software and services.
- Provide leadership in the areas of problem identification and resolution, answering questions, providing advice, troubleshooting, and ensuring following-up on all issues to the Help Desk. Coordinate problem resolution with IT subject matter experts, other departments or outside vendors as appropriate. Track and report recurring problems and assign personnel for appropriate follow up to resolve the issues. Manage desktop projects and report on status of projects and resources.
- Coordinate with the Business Applications and EHR teams for software installations and updates to include documentation, training and workflow changes. Ensure the applications are updated and current with minimal impact to any department.
- Facilitate teams to develop and implement new ideas, approaches, systems, structures and methods to better support clinical staff, reduce costs or improve work flow and operational efficiencies through the application of desktop computing technologies.
- Take a leadership role as teacher, trainer and mentor to the direct reports to the Desktop Services team. Must anticipate problems and take preventive action, as well as troubleshoot and solve problems that occur during operations, working directly with vendors if required. Identify and implement training necessary for a well-run operation and the development of personnel. Provide others with tools to solve problems and improve processes.
- Other Help Desk responsibilities include daily operations of the Helpdesk/customer support, managing the relationships with the EHR team, providing after hour support, managing the relationship with the Swedish Production support team and troubleshooting and ticket/issue escalation and follow up.
- Support and backup other IT services as needed and other duties as assigned.
- Participate in departmental strategic planning - mission, goals, strategies, policies and budget.
- Interview, hire, and maintain qualified staff to accomplish departmental and company objectives.
- Works with IT Leadership and Polyclinic management team to identify long-range information technology needs and establishes priorities for desktop infrastructure upgrades and modifications in line with organizational goals.
- Collaborate with management team to address business problems or enhance clinic operations through the selection, implementation and successful use of desktop technologyinfrastructure.
- Oversees all daily activities related help desk and desktop systems hardware and software support including tablet, laptop and desktop PCs, printers, scanners, copiers and similar devices.
- Assist with disaster recovery planning and execution.
- Help facilitate the installation, configuration, testing and integration of hardware and software.
- Stays abreast of leading-edge information technology. Works with all users to purchase computer equipment and supplies to assure value, ability, order time, capability and capacity in accordance with budget, growth, new application needs.
- Negotiates most favorable prices and terms with vendors and reliable uptime and system response time.
- Interview, hire and maintain qualified staff, provide support and communication through routine staff huddles for department.
- Provide ongoing support and management of department staff, including coaching, motivating, evaluating, and disciplining.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Education: College degree (B.A., B.S., or advanced degree) in information technology, computer science, another relevant field or demonstrated work experience equivalent.
Certification/Licensure: MCSE desired.
Experience: Minimum five years progressively responsibleexperience in information technology. Previous Help Desk or Desktop Services experience at a Manager or Supervisor level strongly preferred.
- Broad information technology knowledge of all aspects of desktop support and help desk operations.
- Significant experience in technical project leadership, from concept through installation and maintenance, and the management of skilled help desk and desktop analyst support staff.
- Technical knowledge of PC/Mac systems, software application support and emerging technologies in all these areas.
- Experience in a Microsoft Exchange environment.
- Experience with Active Directory, Service Manager, Citrix and Epic software strongly preferred.
- Independent thinking and ability to demonstrate good judgment required.
- Strong organizational and leadership skills.
- Ability to handle pressure and rapidly changing priorities. Must be able to set priorities that are consistent with “the big picture”.
- Must be able to manage concurrent high priority projects.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to work well and interact with others
- Effective communication methods to elicit information, negotiate, resolve problems and garner support plus the ability to resolve conflicts productively
- Must be able to communicate with others in a “non-technical” manner.
- Skill over a broad range of functional information management.
- Ability to separate problems into components and recognize underlying patterns and processes.
- Ability to rapidly isolate computer system problems and report problems in a timely manner.
- Industry knowledge of standard security guidelines is required, including HIPPA and Meaningful Use requirements.