Principal Engineer - Technical
8 - 10 years experience • Energy / Utilities
Requisition ID: 36081
Perform commissioning and start-up engineering for inside plant construction projects in the Delivery Project and Construction Management Organization (P&CM). Provide leadership and technical expertise through the application of engineering tools, processes and procedures to manage the successful commissioning/start-up activities for a portfolio of projects. Develop standard commissioning and testing practices for high voltage equipment and associated protective relays and controls equipment. Manage start-up engineering requirements for equipment check-out and testing for standard application and repeatability. Provide technical support to Construction Specialists and ensure compliance in regards to established methods for commissioning. Works closely with System Protection, Design/Engineering and the Major Equipment Group to ensure all necessary checks and testing are performed and verified acceptable prior to equipment being placed into service. Ensure that all cut-over procedures and write-ups are completed in a comprehensive and consistent manner so that uniform procedures are followed throughout the group. Conduct and lead major, complex or non-routine field testing/start-up activities and tie-ins. Ability to perform independent field verification of proper testing procedures and results. Review and approve test data and reports to ensure major equipment is ready for service. Conduct or participate in pre-energization walk through meetings. Interface with Relay Supervisors/Technicians to ensure proper testing of protective relays and circuits. The successful candidate must exhibit expertise of computer based engineering and business applications. Must possess demonstrated professionalism and leadership skills to drive improvements in present/established methods of testing and associated practices for the Safe and reliable energization of high voltage equipment. Must possess and use strong oral and written communication skills.
Location: This position is located out of the South Plainfield, NJ facility.
• Candidate must foster an inclusive work environment and respect all aspects of diversity
•Successful candidate must demonstrate and value differences in others' strengths, perspectives, approaches, and personal choices.
•As an employee of (PSE&G or PSEG LI), you should be aware that during storm restoration efforts, you may be required to perform functions outside of your routine duties and on a schedule that may be different from normal operations.
•PSEG is proud to be an EEO/AA employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status
• Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or equivalent experience directly related to substation design, engineering and construction.
• 8 years of experience in substation design, engineering and construction.
• Demonstrated experience and working knowledge of protective relays and controls systems.
• Because the job requires driving to company locations and off-site assignments and events, must possess a valid driver’s license with a safe and satisfactory driver history.
• Must foster an inclusive work environment and respects all aspects of diversity
• Must demonstrate and value differences in others' strengths, perspectives, approaches, and personal choices
Masters Degree in Engineering, Professional Engineer’s License and/or advanced power systems courses/training.