Under general supervision, responsible for the more complex accounting activities associated with maintaining complete and accurate accounting records. This is the most senior skill level. Position provides functional advice or training to less-experienced personnel. May supervisor lower level personnel.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Following is a summary of the essential functions for this job. Other duties may be performed, both major and minor, which are not mentioned below. Specific activities may change from time to time.
- May have supervisory responsibility, which may include evaluating performance, recommending salary changes, assisting in the interviewing and selection of new personnel, and providing training and development to direct reports
- Prepares financial analyses
- Participates in the review and evaluation of existing and proposed internal controls of manual and automated operations to safeguard company assets and to comply with government regulations
- Reviews accounting issues and procedures and makes recommendations regarding the implementation of accounting policies
- May direct support staff in the preparation of report/department operations. May review/approve work prepared by less experienced personnel
- Prepares financial results for inclusion in presentations to Senior Management
- Participates in the identification and development of analytical tools, reports, and systems to meet the needs of management
- Works with internal auditors, insurance examiners, and external auditors to answer questions and provide backup
- Reviews, prepares and maintains more complex accounting journal entries requiring calculation of entries. Analyzes and reconciles more complex accounts with operating unit reports; researches cause of discrepancies and takes action to ensure accounts are balanced
Minimum Skills and Competencies:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's Degree or in-lieu of degree equivalent education, training and work-related experience
- Typically has a minimum of 5 years of prior accounting experience
- Thorough knowledge of statutory accounting principles
- Thorough knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Thorough knowledge of related accounting principles and transactions based on assigned responsibilities
- Thorough knowledge of computerized accounting, financialreporting, budgeting, and allocation systems
- Must possess effective verbal and written communication skills
- Effective organization and time management skills with the ability to work under pressure and adhere to project deadlines
- Business knowledge
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- General understanding of the insurance industry and organizational relationships of the company
- Understanding of the functions of other departments such as Policy ops and Marketing
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to establish working relationships with individuals at varying levels within the organization.
About National General Holdings:
National General Holdings Corp. is headquartered in New York City. National General traces its roots to 1939, has a financial strength rating of A- (excellent) from A.M. Best, and provides personal and commercial automobile, homeowners, umbrella, recreational vehicle, motorcycle, supplemental health, and other niche insurance products. We are a specialty personal lines insurance holding company. Through our subsidiaries, we provide a variety of insurance products, including personal and commercial automobile, homeowners, umbrella, recreational vehicle, supplemental health, lender-placed and other niche insurance products.
POSTING ID: 1917/747/6211