ThePrivate Banking Credit Manager role ensures that MB Private Banking Division maintains a high-quality credit portfolio and well-managedrisk profile. The incumbent participates in the loan management process by providing credit and loan underwriting expertise to a team of underwriters. The Credit Practice Lead validates the credit analysis prepared by the underwriters and provides opinions and recommendation regarding proposed credit and potential risks. The role also adds to the successful delivery of credit products to MB Private Bank clients by developing solutions that meet client needs while balancing bank requirements. The incumbent partners closely with the Private Bankers to ensure the credit group is effective in delivering an exceptional client experience to MB Private Banking clientele. This individual is also a resource to assist the Private Bankers in determining the correct loan product, and is a problem solver to recognize alternative strategies if proposed structure doesn’t work.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
These are the most significant job duties performed. The size, scope and complexity of assigned duties and responsibilities are dependent on the level and experience of the incumbent. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each assigned essential duty satisfactorily. Otherresponsibilities or special projects not specifically mentioned may also be assigned.
- · Leads, manages and actively mentors, coaches and trains the Private Bank (PB) Underwriter team. Ensure credit write-ups contain a well-supported recommendation or decision; the risk rating is correct and supported; the data and analytics used to support the decision are accurate and calculated correctly, and the credit write-up is thorough yet concise.
- · Ensures underwriting performed by the team meets quality standards. Reviews loan applications and financial information; evaluates and determines credit structure and terms; ensures underwriting is consistent with Bank format, policies, and procedures; determines sources and uses of funds; analyzes industry data, competitive factors, historical performance, projected results, risks, and mitigating factors.
- · Provides appropriate credit guidance to Private Banker Underwriters and collaborates with Private Bankers to determine appropriate credit strategy regarding product choice and acceptable loan structure.
- · Provides credit alternatives and creative ways to structure loans to meet client needs ensuring that transactions are within portfoliorisk standards. Must be a problem solver in this regard.
- · Directly handles loan requests as complexity and loan volume warrants.
- · May participate in client meetings to facilitate delivery of credit product and/or assist in problem resolution.
- · Takes a proactive approach toward resolving complex credit issues, working in conjunction with Senior Credit and Senior Managers from the Private Banking Division when appropriate.
- · Extensive interaction with Senior Credit Group to ascertain final credit approvals, being an advocate for Private Bankingloan requests within established compliance and credit policy limitations.
- · Presents credit requests to Loan Committee if transaction warrants.
- · Has primary role in early problem loan identification and the timely and accurate changes in loan grades.
- · Maintains up-to-date knowledge on all Bank lending policies and regulations. Confers with the Senior Credit and appropriate Bank personnel regarding new lending requirements and regulations.
- · Spot checks new loan requests for suitability and likelihood of underwriting success.
- · May coordinate loan documentation including work with compliance, legal, or other outside counsel to obtain the correct, accurate documents to ensure all loan are documented to fully protect the Bank's interests in the credit relationship. Review collateral periodically to minimize credit exposure.
- · Advises, communicates, and consults with Bank clients about appropriate loan solutions based on client and Bank objectives.
- · Serves as a resource to the Private Banking Underwriting team. .
- · May have overdraft authority and loan approval authority.
- · Complies with override or review decisions and signing authority in accordance with Bank procedures.
- · Maintains an understanding of competitors’ offerings (product, structure, and pricing) and expands MB’s Private Banking credit products, as appropriate.
- · Some travelrequired. Must be flexible to travel to other bank and client locations as needed.
- · Understands and complies with all Bank policies and procedures, and federal and state laws and regulations pertinent to this position; stays informed and shares updates on changes with management. Required to successfully complete all required Compliance training.
- · Continuously supports the Bank’s Mission Statement and Core Values.
This position is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of Private Banking Underwriting Team. This incumbent carries out the supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints, coaching for performance and resolving problems.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to perform this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Work Experience
Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university; eight or more years of related experience in in Finance or business-related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience.