- Responsible for the strategic and tactical portfolio and project management of all Research, Product Development and Sustaining projects.
- Partner with R&D and Marketing to Identify and develop and optimize a pipeline of ambitious new product development and research projects with substantial incremental revenue potential, facilitate portfolio optimization and project selection.
- Provide summary portfolioreports on the status of all projects and resource loading across all R&D locations.
- Sets the strategy for the program management function.
- Establish, plan and manage portfolio governance board for the business.
- Manage portfolio scope to meet business unit strategic goals.
- Direct responsibility for planning and execution of a project portfolio including project budget ownership, direct leadership of project managers including hiring, development, and performance management.
- Support Marketing and R&D Leaders in the development of professional business plans and project proposals.
- Analyze and evaluate trade-offs and optimize portfolio ROI, portfolio timelines and launch cadence.
- Manage and optimize business unit portfoliobudgets. Drive project and program cost efficiencies. Make business unit portfolio spend decisions.
- Drive the use of quality planning across all aspects of the active project portfolio.
- Manage the consolidated risk profile for the portfolio of projects. Set the tone for appropriate business unit project / program risk-taking.
- Manage the consolidated human resource plan for the portfolio of projects.
- Participate on hiring teams for new managers and directors in cross-functional groups.
- Recruit and onboard project staff; influence hiring decisions for cross-functional groups.
- Manage the consolidated communications plan for the portfolio of projects.
- Understand in detail the complexity of our business, make sense of complexity and uncertainty, be mindful of implications of portfolio decisions, and be decisive on strategic portfolio issues. Influences cross divisional and cross functionally including influencing functional strategies and strategic initiatives.
- Will coach and develop direct reports and Project/Program Managers across R&D Locations.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities (Preferred)
- A demonstrated track record of delivering complex multisite R&D projects and product launches in either R&D Engineering, Product Development Leadership or Upstream Marketing
- Dem Demonstrated versatility and a willingness to manage and lead a team through change and ambiguity
- Excellent interpersonal communication, collaborative team work, conflict management, and negotiation skills
- Ability to build trusting relationships with mid-level management
- Demonstrated experience in presenting to and influencing executives
- Ability to generate and explain opportunity analysis and value assessments accurately.
- Demonstrated ability to mentor, train, and develop direct and indirect team members
- Ability to develop a strategic vision for a department and lead the resulting process and structure changes for the organization
- PgMP certification or equivalent such as MSP is a plus
- Experience with delivering results through Agile and PMBOK project management methodologies.
Education & Work Experience (Required)
- BEng, BS/BA required;
- Masters Degree in Project Management and/or MBA preferred
- 12+ years demonstrated management experience in at least one discipline (Finance, Procurement, IT, R&D, Ops, etc.)