Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc. is a diverse and decentralized pharmaceutical company that is committed to focusing on our key stakeholders while delivering consistently high performance. Our values provide the overall direction for our company, and provide us with the tools necessary to rise to any challenge by leveraging our collective hard work and effort along with our unwavering competitive spirit. These values help us set goals based on our organization’s potential and what we hope it will become.
The Regional Account Executive will develop, negotiate, and implement an overall strategic selling and pull through plan for the long-term sales of Valeant products to strategic regional private and public payers. The Regional Account Executive will also be responsible for driving incremental profit for Valeant products by strengthening plan formulary positions and increasing patient access among assigned plans.
The territory in this role will cover Utah, Colorado, Arizona, Nebraska and Wyoming. 50-75% travel will be required in this role. This role acts in a centralized function to multiple Valeant business units including Salix, Bausch + Lomb, Valeant branded Dermatology products and Women's Health. The Regional Account Executive will report to the West Area Group Director.
Principal Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Expand growth opportunities for Valeant products and product access within Managed Care and related Managed Markets customers.
- Will be responsible for additional high level accounts which may or may not include rebate contracting
- Gain appropriate formulary access that results in favorable product positioning for key Valeant brands and maintain current formulary positions on the assigned regional accounts achieving profitable outcomes and meeting ROI thresholds.
- Where appropriate; develop, negotiate, and execute strategic contracts within assigned regional private and public payers, Medicare Part D, Managed Medicaid and Healthcare Exchange Plans. Communicate and educate internal stakeholders on newly executed or amended agreements.
- Collaborate with Strategic Markets Director to identify and pull through PBM formulary placements.
- Plan and execute field level pull through programs for new or existing formulary awards using appropriate resources, Valeant personnel and involving the customer when possible.
- Monitor and maintain a high level of awareness of public and private formularies, insurance and pricing regulations, employer groups, unions and third party reimbursement programs to enhance Valeant’s brand positions.
- Enhance functional integration with Sales, Marketing and Finance peers by communicating relevant and useful Managed Care information (i.e. formulary awards and pull through action plans) to enhance sales efforts in the Managed Care arena.
- Support field sales teams in assigned geography at national, regional and local sales meetings, conference calls, field rides, training on managed care resources and increase payer landscape knowledge.
- Develop and maintain positive business relationships with key decision-makers (i.e. Pharmacy Directors, Medical Directors, Pharmacy Contract Managers, Clinical Pharmacists, Case Managers,) by making regular visits and communications with the accounts in the assigned territory.
- Access key decision makers and stakeholders within assigned accounts in order to ensure Valeant products have optimal patient and health care professional access for coverage, reimbursement and advocacy.
- Communicate an outstanding level of disease state knowledge, treatment guidelines, pharmacologic approaches, and pharmaco-economic impact within the Managed Markets space.
- Communicate with field reimbursement team to identify payer coverage and reimbursement issues and develop plans to ensure successful coverage and reimbursement
- Maintain an outstanding level of performance metric analytics, manipulation and reporting mechanisms.
- Monitor and review customer invoice packages to ensure accurate sales and rebate management.
- Perform routine business reviews with aligned accounts to ensure contract understanding, performance, and maximization.
- Liaise with field sales to develop physician advocates (emphasis on Teaching Institutions and national/local physician societies) to foster appropriate communication to payers in support of Valeant brands.
- Demonstrate understanding of competitive managed care landscape: product lines, place in therapy, contracting activities, and value added program knowledge.
- With the Group Director, develop short term and long term business plans to achieve corporate objectives. Assess and monitor progress
- Company-wide liaison for Market Access
- Internal Contacts: Daily contact with Group Director, National Account Directors, Regional Strategy Business Manager, Payer Marketers, Field Reimbursement Managers, Sales Leadership and Brand Marketing teams.
External Contacts: Daily contact with assigned accounts.
- This position requires the ability to act independently and to take initiative with minimal supervision from manager.
- Advise manager of work schedule, priorities, problems and of planned and unplanned absences.
- Utilize only PRC approved resources and communication to meet goals.
- Participate as needed on cross-functional or project teams to support Market Access and corporate objectives.
Education: A Bachelor’s Degree in a related discipline is required.
A minimum of 5 years of pharmaceutical sales and/or marketing experience is required. Three years payer account management experience with demonstrated knowledge and experience in contracting with commercial and Medicare Part D payers is required. The successful candidate should also possess broad healthcare market knowledge, strategic thinking, business planning, problem solving with strong communication skills to managed an evolving managed customer landscape. Previous sales leadership and selling specialty products is a plus.
Skills and Abilities: The successful candidate will possess an understanding of managed markets contracts including successful negotiation, business terminology, pre and post contract analysis , request for proposal processes (i.e., Medicare Part D bid cycles), and rebate bid validations. Must have strong interpersonal, teamwork, organizational, proactive, follow-up and workload planning skills along with excellent presentation skills. Demonstrated self-starter and highly motivated with an ability to work as a team member and ability to communicate and influence with all levels of the organization. Strong verbal, interpersonal and listening skills required. Strong analytical, leadership and customer service skills are also required. This position should have a travel expectation of 50-75%.
Job ID 8512