Summary of Essential Functions
- Responsible for all operation and activities within the Nursery department.
- Supervises and coordinates activities of assigned services according to hospital policy, objectives, and philosophy.
- Maintains appropriate nursery level according to designation.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Graduate of an accredited School of nursing.
- BSN preferred
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
Licensure and Certifications
- Registered as an RN with the BNE for the State of Texas.
- CPR Certification.
- NRP certification ( within 3 months is not active upon hire)
- At least four years of NICU experience in an acute health care facility, Level III preferred
- Performs wide variety of duties, to include accepting responsibility for the direction, control and planning of activities in assigned service area.
- Perform under stress when confronted with critical or unusual situations.
- Maintains efficiency and control.
- Quality monitoring and educational skills
- Teamwork and Physician communication skills
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serves as a role model. Collaborates in promoting professional working relationships with peers, subordinates and superiors.
- Assesses plans, directs and evaluates employees to ensure competency of all age groups in specific service area.
- Encourages and provides opportunities for inservices and workshops. Assists personnel in developing and achieving performance goals and suggestions for improvement.
- Maintains employee records to include attendance and tardy infractions. Takes necessary action to reduce absenteeism.
- Coordinates with division staff and educator to ensure adequate orientation for incoming staff members.
- Ensured adequate documentation on patient records by evaluating staff using peer review process.
- Make daily rounds on floors; be aware of status of patients, visit patients/families to assess satisfaction with service.
- Adjusts staffing to meet service needs. Maintains unit operations in line with budgetary guidelines. Provides input into annual operating and capital budgets
- Initiates quality improvement studies, documents follow-up and corrective action.
- Ensures reporting and evaluation of all incidents involving unsafe practice, error or accidents. Events entered into system within 10 days of report.
- Demonstrates in-depth knowledge of and enforces unit routines, policies and procedures.
- Accepts, interprets and implements policies and procedures pertaining to personnel and patients.
- Plans safe, efficient and economical functioning of service to ensure Joint Commission and other relevant standards are met.
- Evaluates data entered into acuity system to ensure accurate information.
- Performs all other tasks/responsibilities as necessary.
- Instrumental in Nursery level redesignation every three years as the Neonatal Program Manager.
Req # 2242