Area Business Manager - Plant Nutrition
Summary: As a member of the North American Plant Nutrition Team, the successful candidate will be accountable for the delivery of areasales performance objectives of the Plant NutritionPortfolio, across all brands andchannels including responsibility for thebudget for thesales activities in the geography. As a member of the product management team, he/she will provide customer input to the product strategic plan as developed by the product management team and beresponsible for the implementation of the plan with customers in the geography. Directresponsibilities includesales planning (at the area and territory level for the geography),sales resource management and management ofsales staff, customer accounts andsales activities in the geography. As a member of the Plant Nutritionsales team he/she will be interfacing , agronomy, marketing, product management and strategy, operations, equipment, customer care and various corporate functions. This role is a management level commercial role that will drive in-fieldsales activities that support high value customer activity andsales development including providingsales tools and resources, training and development ofsales staff and product knowledge to customers asrequired. This person will have direct responsibility for the territorysales managers and staff and will lead the development and implementation of strategies to grow the region’ssales by retaining and expanding existing customers and attracting a significant volume of new business to meet the Plant Nutritionportfolio strategic plan. Achieving the overall objectives will require creativity and innovation to define and execute a geographicalsales strategy based on value-add rather than traditional commodity basedsales.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following: (Management reserves the right to add or modify the duties and responsibilities at any time.)
- Direct territory sales responsibility for the geography.
- Define and execute a sales strategy for the geography to retain and expand existing business accounts and attract a significant volume of new business.
- Ensure overall P&L management including achievement of margin, volume, revenue, and expense targets for the geography.
- Provide leadership and support to the sales team in the geography to achieve growth targets.
- Conduct appropriate and thorough analysis on the market, business, forecast, ‘look back’ and trends to provide input into the margin and price management for the geography , making recommendations on ways to improve at regular intervals.
- Responsible for sales excellence with respect to growing, acquiring, retaining and defending sales in the region at the channel and grower level.
- Lead training efforts of the regional team and peers as needed and provide coaching and resources and personnel performance reviews to develop regional team members to high performing individuals and a high-performing team.
- Manage/expand current distributionnetwork with emphasis on increasing the retail reach of our Plant Nutrition portfolio of products.
- Represent the geography of our business, including a full knowledge of the crops, cropping systems, irrigation systems, trends, issues, competition and opportunities that exist which drive the overall business performance across the geography.
- Work effectively with peers and colleagues in Sales & Marketing, Product Management and Strategy, R&D, Agronomy Customer Service and Plant Operations.
- Provide guidance to the Agronomy team in developing and managing research and field trials focused on key crops and geographies.
- Collaborate with product management and marketing to ensure product portfolio, programs and campaigns are effective for the geography.
- Develop and maintain an active demand plan and forecast for the geography to support the monthly Supply Operations, and Inventory Planning process.
- Obtain prompt and thorough feedback from customers regarding field market development input on new products or programs.
- Develop and present requisite market intelligence to enable business plan success.
- Actively engage in appropriate industry associations as required.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience: Minimum Requirements:
- Requires a bachelor’s degree or equivalent education and experience and a minimum of 7 years of experience with 5 years management experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree in agricultural business or equivalent education and experience; MBA preferred.
- Minimum of ten years sales and business management experience with successful development and execution of sales growth strategies.
- Experience leading a team and a career history of consistently achieving challenging sales targets.
Necessary skill sets:
- Collaborative leadership style, with demonstrated strong focus on creating value and focusing on results.
- Proven track record in sales force excellence : designing and executing sales strategies (account planning, forecasting, growth activation).
- Understanding of financial statements, key drivers of revenue and costs, margin management.
- Strong strategic thinking, planning and execution skills.
- Demonstrated clear and effective decision making.
- Past success in developing/coaching sales and other personnel.
- Strong, demonstrated analytical skill set utilizing MS excel, E1, or business planning software.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and share results with MS PowerPoint using charts, graphs, and summarizing data.
- Ability to influence, motivate and develop personnel.
- Superior customer facing interactions, including ability to influence both external and internal customers.
- Strong selling skills and demonstrated effectiveness in value add sales and marketing.
- Problem solving skills to identify complex drivers and potential solutions.
- Experience in the use of Salesforce.com a preferred.