Hastings Mutual has an opening for an Associate Actuary. The individual in this role will continuously refine HMIC pricing to meet corporate targets for profitability, growth, and retention in addition to providing lead technical support to product development through data management, analysis, research, innovation, and the development and implementation of new product pricing to maintain our competitive edge in the market place. Reporting to the Director of Actuarial Services, this position will be based at our Hastings, Michigan corporate offices.
- Manages projects in support of pricing utilizing accepted actuarial standards and methodologies.
- Conducts deep data review and application of analytics for HMIC product lines, identifying and recommending areas for improved profitability, growth, and retention.
- Works closely with the Director of Actuarial Services to identify and develop new pricing strategies and tactics to improve the profitability, growth and retention of assigned product lines. Monitors market for product innovations and report findings to management.
- Directs or conducts strategic research and peer company analyses using a variety of resources and tools.
- Provides intra-departmental technical support for pricing, ratemaking, and analytical tools and applications.
- Assists in the development of Actuarial Analysts and Assistant Actuaries.
- Provides support for the HMIC Rating Engine.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Statistics or Mathematics preferred. Business, Economics, Finance or a related degree with an emphasis on statistics and mathematics also acceptable.
- Advanced mathematical and statistical knowledge required.
- Minimum of five years actuarialexperiencerequired.
- Completion of the ACAS or ASA in general insurance.
- Advanced knowledge in the use of data sources and applications to conduct research, fluent in analyzing data and reviewing analysis of others.
- Skilled in SQL and R. Able to identify and resolve complex data issues.
- Excellent written, oral, presentation and communication skills.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office with expertise in Microsoft Excel.
- High level organizational and project management skills in order to handle multiple concurrent assignments in a timely manner.
- Works effectively in a team environment.
- Strong decision-making ability.