Senior Director, Enterprise Marketing, PetSmart
The Senior Marketing Director, Enterprise Marketing, will lead a team responsible for enterprise-level planning and execution across the Company. This includes traditional media buying, promotional and event planning and brand campaign creation and execution. The Senior Director will be responsible for leading and delivering marketing strategies and initiatives that leverages consumer insights, past tactic and campaign performance and competitive information, supporting the Company sales planning goals. This position reports to the Vice President of Marketing.
This role currently manages four direct reports (Media Director; Senior Manager, Events; Senior Manager Campaign Planning; and Senior Manager, Promotions) with 12 total associates, but also provides leadership across the Customer Experience department (>200 employees in department). The Senior Director is responsible for coaching and mentoring throughout his/her team, as well as the department, as well as leading by example.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to:
- Envision, develop and align the organization around enterprise and category-specific integrated messaging and plans (short-duration and long-term branding) that align to the promotional and priority messaging calendar. Strong alignment most critical with Merchandising (Buying & Planning), Merchandising Marketing, Proprietary Brands, Services Marketing, Digital, CRM and Social/PR).
- Lead the development, execution andbudgeting related to media planning and buying, with an overarching plan that continues to optimize our reach and frequency to our target audience (overall as a brand, as well as uniquely to local markets related to new stores/priority markets/tests), spearheading testing of new capabilities where appropriate (ie, addressable TV leveraging first and third party data)
- The position is directly responsible for ~$120M+ in budget related to television, digital circular, grand openings, in-store events and external partnerships
- Oversee the development of all promotional and branding strategies and execution among external and in-store tactics (ie, television, radio, circular, social/digital, PR, store signage and associate communication)
- Serve as a key liaison to the Media buying external agency.
- Lead National and Local Store event strategy, including partnership with Store Operations and Merchandising to maximize traffic impact and minimize operational challenges.
- Lead Grand Opening marketing plans (beyond media; including but not limited to Events, Store communications, real estate considerations, etc); serve as lead Marketing contact for Real Estate leadership.
- Manage marketing for Proprietary brand (PB) Consumables, including defining portfolio strategy in partnership with PB leadership and managing PB integration into Enterprise marketing tactics.
- Present regularly to senior leaders (VPs, SVPs, EVPs, CEO) regarding initiative updates, plans and results, ensuring all are informed, aligned and confident in the Department’s planning and delivery against our goals, both short- and long-term.
- Serve as a key leader in the Department and Company, continually challenging the status quo and ensuring we are set up for success based on our goals
- Strong media background with expertise in both traditional and digital tactics, measuring success and the ability to articulate plans to audiences of all backgrounds (ranging from the Customer Experience team to less informed on the intricacies of media buying, operation, relationship and measuring).
- Ability to flow seamlessly from strategy to execution, driving vision while also commanding a deep understanding of tactical day-to-day to ensure strong in market execution on time, on budget and meeting KPIs.
- Ability to be assertive and operate with a sense of urgency, making data-based recommendations and influencing others with an expert point of view.
- Possess a strong passion for continually learning about the customer and uncovering new means to reach and engage him/her.
- Possess a strong analytic mindset, with the ability to assess pre- and post-behavior, draw strategic conclusions based on multiple data points and turn the data into insights with recommended action through strong story-telling.
- Possess deep knowledge of primary and secondary marketing research techniques, with heavy emphasis on quantitative ad copy testing and 3rd party media measurement tools
- Possess a strong passion for building and improving processes through strict adherence to timelines, with a keen understanding of multiple influencers across the Company that drive on-time, on-time and on-strategy execution.
- Possess strong executive presence and EQ with ability to understand appropriate level of detail and context for audiences of varying seniority, read situations and people, understanding how to adjust format to successfully lead through influence in an environment that is ever-changing and developing.
- Ability to collaborate cross-functionally to drive business strategies and initiatives, understanding where to push and where to give based on Company and division-based goals.
- Strong ability to assess team strengths and opportunity areas and skill in development of talent through coaching and mentoring.
- Strong ability to manage competing priorities on tight timelines
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university in Marketing, Business, or related field.
- MBA or master’s degreepreferred
- Significant past experience in Media buying and planning, agency, large CPG or retail environment required
- Minimum of 15 years of strategic marketingexperience, with some experience of a retail environment
- Experience managing teams and significant budget (>$20M) planning and spending
- Advanced PowerPoint and Excel skills
Job ID MK-17-5676