As one of the world’s leading analytical instrumentation companies, Bruker covers a broad spectrum of advanced solutions in all fields of research and development. All our systems and instruments are designed to improve safety of products, accelerate time-to-market and support industries in successfully enhancing quality of life. We’ve been driving innovation in analytical instrumentation for 50 years now. Today, worldwide more than 6,000 employees are working on this permanent challenge, at over 70 locations on all continents.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The AFM Software group is looking for a talented Sr. Staff Software Engineer to join our software team in Santa Barbara to be an integral player in designing and developing our world leading Atomic Force Microscopes. You will be responsible for working closely with scientists and engineers in advancing the state-of-the art nanoscale systems technology by architecting and developing software from hardware control to application design. You will create architecture, design, and provide programming technical leadership for the overall creation and modification of software enhancements for new nano-scale Research and Production Control metrology tools based on atomic force microscopy technology. This position requires initiative, innovation, and responsibility working within a cooperative team environment to realize new customer desired products.
- In depth expert using C++, C#, MFC, STL, WPF, Windows .Net, object-oriented design, and layered software systems for the development of production level software tools and systems.
- Provide new designs and architecture for real-time, non-real time, and intuitive interactive software systems to implement new capabilities and modes of operation.
- In depth expert and broad working knowledge of MFC, WPF and .Net using multi-threaded programming.
- Provide architecture recommendations for design, patterns and standards, including mentoring developers during direct involvement in technical product development.
- Demonstrated strong logical and technical problem-solving skills with ability to develop new approaches to complex design problems including deployment knowledge using current advances in software technologies.
- In depth experience designing and coding very large code bases targeting systems of mixed hardware and software with low-latency real-time requirements with intuitive interactive software user controls and with the management of persistent data stores.
- Demonstrated technical leader with strong communication skills and ability to work with cross-functional teams.
- Ideal candidate will have broad experience in real-time control of Vision, motion control, Automation, digital signal processing, data acquisition, and visually appealing and interactive GUIs used in metrology, physics, chemistry, or microbiology.
- Idea candidate will have proven track record designing component-based software using architectural layering systems programming techniques across hardware and software for semiconductor manufacturing and research software applications.
- Proven ability to work with cross-functional teams including communicating and publishing plans, designs, and visions.
- Domain knowledge of Atomic Force Microscopy and Optical Spectroscopy.
- Knowledge of image processing, convolutions, pattern recognition use, image filtering and segmentation, 3d with OpenGL or Direct3D, and MATLAB, LabVIEW, or Python to support algorithms and analysis systems development.
- Experience deploying numerical and statistical analysis techniques to derive quantitative performance requirements for customer applications.
- Experienced Scrum Master or other demonstrated technical leadership role. Demonstrated ownership of software development process and team mentoring in process improvement including Scrum or other Agile methodologies showing an improved agile development culture and improved long-term adoption of the newest and best technologies and trends in software.
- Ability and willingness to work in class 1000 clean room with full gowning protocol.
- The ability to lift and move equipment up to 30 pounds.
Position requires 12+ years of experience in software engineering and development.
Qualified candidate should possess a BS degree (prefer MS or PhD) in Computer
Science, or engineering, physics or a related field. Prefer at least 10 years’ experience in
control systems, instrumentation equipment, robotics, digital signal processing, or
instrumentation software development. Experience in metrology, physics, chemistry,
microbiology also desired. Should be hard working, team oriented, bright, creative,
cooperative, and exceptionally good at problem solving.