Manager, Supply Chain
5 - 7 years experience • Business Services
The Manager, Supply Chain is responsible for planning, managing and optimizing the Commercial Services supply chain. Functional responsibilities include production scheduling, customer service, purchasing, and inventory management for the production operations. The manager works with customers on orders, and schedules production in accordance with due dates and plant capacities. Responsible for managing overall customer relationships, including identifying potential new projects or business with existing customers. Manage/coordinate the sales and operations planning process including supply/demand forecasting, inventorymanagement, and on-time delivery. Orders materials and components based on schedules and inventory reports. Understand customers’ needs, service those needs, and maintain and develop positive business relationships with a customer’s key personnel involved in or directly relevant to supply chain activities. Workswith production management to ensure on-time complete metrics are met for each customer. Leads team including Master Planner and 3-6 clerical and/or forklift operators. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems. Contributes as a key member of the management team, which consists of the plant manager, engineer, quality assurance supervisor, production supervisor, group leaders, and case managers. This role demonstrates behaviors consistent with our Mission, Vision and Values, on behalf of Goodwill of Central & Southern Indiana.
Inventory Control and Warehouse Management
- Recommends, plans, and initiates projects involving cost reduction, material handling, warehouse layout and capacity planning analyses.
- Designs or implements plant warehousing strategies for production materials or finished products.
- Analyze inventories (purchased and customer owned) to determine how to increase inventory turns, reduce waste, or optimize customer service while maintaining inventory accuracy and reporting transparency.
- Design and review inventory and operating reports to evaluate results and resolve problems.
- Manage activities related to strategic or tactical purchasing, material requirements planning, inventory control, warehousing, or receiving.
Customer Service and Scheduling
- Acts as primary contact for key customers for business needs including potential new business, capacity, and planning.
- Coordinates manufacturing activities and established priorities by preparing production scheduling to ensure effective and efficient labor utilization to meet customer’s expectations.
- Creates communication systems for customers to ensure service and delivery requirements are met.
- Processes and confirms orders and requirements with customers. Establishes customer invoicing.
- Communicate schedules to plant management team and customers as appropriate.
- Maintain awareness through communication with Group Leaders of the status of schedules and takes direct action when needed to resolve and/or prevent any delays.
- Creates and maintains work instructions in accordance with controlled copy standards and documents all processes.
- Communicates with all customers and stakeholders on order and production status.
- Develops and implements new methods for tracking, managing, and monitoring customer service and production scheduling.
- Creates ways to improve customer’s expectations through communication and feedback.
- Manages systems that support manufacturing orders, shipping, invoicing, and production.
- Controls product costs by researching and sourcing vendors, developing strong working relationships, and effectively negotiating pricing. Develops and maintains approved vendor listing.
- Develops or implements procedures or systems to evaluate or select suppliers.
- Analyzes information about supplier performance or procurement program success.
- Negotiates prices and terms with suppliers, vendors, or freight forwarders.
- Monitors supplier performance to assess ability to meet quality and delivery requirements.
- Orders materials as needed to support production schedules.
- Ensures record compliance.
- Understand and troubleshoot AP/AR accounting functions.
Administrative and Special Projects
- Maintains accurate inventory/production/purchasing/receiving/shipping records for conformity.
- Ensures compliance with safety and environmental rules and regulations.
- Assures compliance of employees to all state and federal regulations.
- Assists with third-party audits, including ISO 9001 and source inspections.
- Contributes on special projects and continuous improvement projects.
- Contribute on corporate Centralized Purchasing Team.
- Approve all plant-related invoices and provide accurate coding to corporate Accounting group.
- Participates on the Management Review Team as part of ISO 9001 Quality Management System.
- Assist with direction and implementation of Forklift Training program as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, supply chain or related field preferred
- Military experience highly preferred
- Minimum 5 years of management or leadership experience in business, logistics, procurement, supply chain.
- Inventory management experience
- Warehouse operations experience
- Experience with production control, scheduling, and capacity management required
- Experience in an ERP/MRP system (Microsoft AX preferred)
- Experience in ISO 9001 a plus
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office products (Word, Excel)
- Negotiation skills with outside partners (vendors or customers)
- Solid communication (oral and written) and comprehension skills
- Mature interpersonal relationship skills
- Strong problem-solving skills
Full-time employees may participate in a comprehensive benefits program that includes:
- Continuing education and leadership development
- Comprehensive health plan
- Paid time off (PTO)
- Life, dental and vision insurance
- Nationally recognized preventive health and wellness program
- Section 125 pretax health spending account, dependent care spending account and premiums