Principal Investigator, Product Development, Life Protection
5 - 7 years experience • Energy & Environmental Services
DuPont has an opening for an Application Development PrincipalInvestigator. We are seeking a highly motivated individual who will be instrumental in supporting the Life Protection Segment within the Protection Solutions business (which includes the Nomex®, Kevlar®, and Tyvek®product lines) through new product and application development in the area of high performance ballistic structures. JOB DESCRIPTION (functionalresponsibilities):We are seeking an engineer/scientist with a strong background in product development to support the Kevlar® ballistics segment, with an initial focus on hard ballistics. Over time, it is expected that this individual will also provide support on the soft ballistics side. This position involves close working relationships with the global business team, customers and the broader technical organization. The scope of the assignment includes:
- Developing and qualifying new products for ballistic applications
- Working closely with civilian and military customers to develop new, prototype products
- Developing and qualifying new material systems for ballistic applications
- Providing technical guidance and market support to manufacturers of ballistic materials and end-users globally
- Working through the entire value chain to capture new business opportunities
- Provide technical expertise for the development of down-stream coating processes and will be recognized as a leader in that technology.
- Lead teams to upgrade processes and products that may range from incremental improvements to major technology changes.
- Support substrate manufacturing, to enable higher performing coated products
- Identifying appropriate contractors or substrate coating for specified product needs.
- Developing coated and/or laminated products with contract partners.
- Working with supply chain and technical to develop new processes for contractors or internally.
This role requires the deep understanding of structure-property relationships in the areas ofmechanical and materialsengineering as part of the ballistics application development process for military andlaw enforcement segments. Customers in these segments require high performance structures to meet a range of multi-functional requirements. The successful candidate should have practical knowledge in fibers, fibrous structures,films, coating knowledge, thermoplastic & thermoset resins, and composite-related materials. Knowledge related to design, prototyping, testing, andfilm/coating process development and ballistics is also important. New Applications Development: Within a cross functional global segment team, work with applications development, marketing, andsales professionals to translatemarket trends and voice of the customer information into product performance measures, develop ballistic products, and drive the evaluation of new products with select customers. Move from “concept to commercialization”, providing commercial solutions which enhance the business productportfolioin alignment with the global segment strategy.
DuPont is an Equal Opportunity Employer
DuPont is an e-Verify Employer
- Masters or PhD: Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering or Chemical Engineering
- 5-10 years of ballistic, composite, film, coating or related industry experience, preferably in an R&D or Manufacturing environment.
- Practical knowledge in fibers, fibrous structures, films, coating knowledge, thermoplastic & thermoset resins, and composite-related materials. Knowledge of composite design, testing, prototyping, and processing is required. Ballistics knowledge is a plus.
- Solid project management skills
- Understanding of basic business processes
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, cross functional, global work environment Competencies:
- Ability to communicate efficiently and effectively across functions and regions, particularly at customer interface.
- Strong innovative and conceptual capacity
- Results oriented; combined with attention to detail and a focus on quality Location: Richmond, VA or Greater Charlotte, NC (Monroe, NC)
DowDuPont (NYSE: DWDP) is a holding company comprised of The Dow Chemical Company and DuPont with the intent to form strong, independent, publicly traded companies in agriculture, materials science and specialty products sectors that will lead their respective industries through productive, science-based innovation to meet the needs of customers and help solve global challenges.