The Vice President of Education leads The Jackson Laboratory’s educational mission in advancing genetic and genomic literacy and training to a broad audience both internally and externally, and in establishing the Laboratory as the premier innovator for genetic and genomic education.
As a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT) and the Research Leadership Team (REAL Team), the incumbent assumes responsibility for leading the Laboratory’s education program, developing a strategic plan that leverages the Laboratory’s research and institutional strengths and successfully executing the plan.
The key initiatives will be in enhancing graduate and post graduate education/training, strengthening high school and collegiate summer programs, developing and improving initiatives to recruit, mentor and retain highly talented trainees from under-represented groups, expanding our courses and conferences, advancing online and distance learning platforms and driving novel approaches to physician/medical education, all focused on genetics and genomics. S/he will also be responsible for expanding educational partnerships with degree-granting institutions nationally and internationally.
The vice president will attract external funding support to develop and maintain educational/training programs. This external funding includes NIH, foundations, philanthropy, and other revenue generating approaches such as strategic partnerships and registration-based revenues.
The successful candidate will forge new relationships to build the Laboratory’s visibility and impact and position the Laboratory as the go-to place for genomic and genetic education for an increasingly diversified trainee population.
The vice president will partner with internal stakeholders to assure the quality and intensity of the educational offerings. S/he will ensure that the Laboratory’s website becomes and remains a powerful source of information and provides access to the Laboratory’s educational programs.
The ideal candidate must be collaborative, think broadly and futuristically about science education and demonstrate a passion and enthusiasm for developing and delivering unique, varied learning experiences in a broadly inclusive environment. We are seeking candidates who are innovative, bold, collaborative, and organized.
- Articulates vision and develops a strategic plan for JAX’s mission related educational programs and activities.
- Leverages the Laboratory’s research strengths in achieving the Laboratory’s educational mission and goals.
- Provides management leadership to the education group to genomic literacy to target audiences, through mechanisms such as sustainable e-learning modules, blended online-experiential courses, CME strategies, technology focused intensive experiences, “teach-the-teachers” programs, as well as traditional “hands-on” teaching and mentoring processes.
- Fosters an inclusive approach to recruiting, educating, and mentoring trainees to grow and diversify the next generation of scientists and healthcare professionals.
- Provides overall leadership for the full spectrum of JAX educational/training programs, which include pre-collegiate, collegiate, graduate, post-graduate, professional scientist and physician education.
- Expands our educational partnerships with degree-granting institutions nationally and internationally.
- Is responsible for attracting external funding for program development and maintenance, and for developing a larger sustainability strategy for JAX Education.
- Works closely with JAX academic researchers and JAX Mice, Clinical, and Research Services to expand the portfolio of educational offerings that would be in demand by the scientific community.
- Expanding external funding for launching new educational programs and to sustain existing programs. Show year over year growth in the number and diversity of external funding sources for both development and maintenance of programs.
- Working closely with the VP Advancement, to enhance philanthropic contributions.
- Increasing the diversity and numbers of participants for JAX’s educational programs and conferences, and enhancing the retention of trainees at the Laboratory and in the field long-term.
- Development of new e-learning platforms and tools that engage a broad spectrum of students and first-time participants.
- Enhance the recruitment of top quality post doctoral fellows and graduate students.
- Successful engagement of internal research stakeholders to participate and contribute to the educational programs thereby leveraging the Laboratory’s research strengths.
- Positions the Laboratory as the premier institution for genetic and genomic education.
- Successfully manages graduate educationpartnership with universities and othereducational entities.
- Establishing a strong online educational presence.
Impact on the Jackson Laboratory:
- Establish cohesiveness for JAX’s educational programs.
- Establishes JAX ‘thought share’ for global genomic education.
- Establishes JAX as the premier institution for genomic education.
- Enhance the diversity of JAX’s community of trainees, scientific staff and faculty.
- Provide leadership so that the Lab can achieve the above goals in order to succeed in carrying out its evolving educational mission.
- Advanced degree, PhD, MD, MBA preferred but not required.
- Extensive and tangible experience in creating and delivering highly successful and innovative educational efforts.
- An in depth understanding of graduate and post graduate education challenges and opportunities.
- Proven leadership in developing new educational paradigms and pedagogical technologies.
- Passion for the importance of inclusion in all aspects of recruiting, training and supporting a diverse education community.
- High energy with a collaborative spirit and ability to engage the research community.
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical educational program development.
- Ability to construct, articulate, and implement annual and long-term strategic educational development plans.
- The ideal candidate will be a self-motivated professional with a passion for the Laboratory’s mission and a visionary with a passion and enthusiasm for learning and engaging a broad range of individuals at various levels of education.
- S/he will be a strong communicator (both verbal and written), organizational leader and team player capable of setting priorities, developing clear goals, and implementing goals.
- Because the position requires management of a number of individuals with diverse backgrounds in geographically different sites, preference will be given to candidates with experience in managing complex organizational structures.