Overview / Job Summary
Aleris is a global leader in the manufacture and sale of aluminum rolled products, with approximately 14 facilities in three geographically aligned business units in North America, Europe and China. We serve a variety of end-use industries, including aerospace, automotive, defense, building and construction, transportation, packaging, and consumer goods.
Our Rolled Products North America (RPNA) division is seeking to add a talented Health, Safety and Environmental Manager to its team located at our Richmond, VA facility. The HSE Manager will lead plant health, safety and environmental protection performance and activities. The HSE Manager is responsible for developing and implementing programs that focus on system, process, and cultural changes that drive company performance to higher levels and ensure compliance to internal and external requirements.
- Ensures the health and safety of all employees, visitors and contractors through the adherence to HSE standards, policies and procedures.
- Partners with plant, regional and corporate resources to implement proactive solutions to minimize at risk conditions and at risk behaviors.
- Interacts with and provides visible leadership to all employees, particularly those on the plant floor to drive safety awareness, engagement and improvement.
- Improves safety performance by continuously increasing a level of awareness and improving safety systems to reduce, if not eliminate, accidents and injuries.
- Leads and maintains plant safety component of Aleris Operating System (AOS) Information Center.
- Drives effective site deployment and continuous improvement with the Aleris HSE management system.
- Estimated 40% of time devoted to monitoring and assessing plant safety and regulatory compliance. Ability to adjust time as required.
- Completes inspections and audits to detect and eliminate unsafe practices and conditions.
- Partners with the Plant Manager to establish and maintain an active Joint Health & Safety Committee.
- Facilitates the following with the site operations leaders: monthly plant safety meetings, safety walk-arounds, and assists supervisors with monthly crew safety meetings.
- Partners with Operations and Maintenance to ensure adequate mechanical and physical safeguards to equipment. Ensures equipment is regularly inspected and that monitoring and testing equipment is calibrated as required.
- Implements education and training programs for good health and safety practices.
- Follows investigation practices and procedures for all accidents and near accidents to determine the causes and the corrective actions necessary to prevent recurrences. Meets corporate reporting targets by timely completion of investigations and root cause analyses.
- Maintains accurate recordkeeping data as required by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
- Implements effective emergency response action programs.
- Collects and analyzes injury data to identify trends and recommend improvements.
- Maintains data, records and documents in a confidential manner.
- Quotes, purchases, and allocates necessary items to ensure a safe working environment.
- Manages contracts related to safety and environmental systems and equipment.
- Coordinates annual hearing testing, medical evaluations, first aid and CPR training, fit testing and otherrequired testing.
- Manages and administers site worker’s compensation matters, partnering with HR on return to work and disability management integration where applicable.
- Maintains the Plant SDS records.
- Supervise 1 HSE staff direct report and provides Environmental direction to 2 Baghouse Mechanics. Responsible for establishing objectives, assessing performance and managing development plans.
- Ensures environmental performance and compliance by maintaining knowledge of Safety and
- Environmental regulations and compliance reporting.
- Working collaboratively with corporate, regional and plant staff, recommend, develop and implement policies, procedures and systems that meet/surpass the standards set by relevant legislation and regulation.
- Maintain and manage compliance systems for the facility to meet applicable regulations.
- Development and implementation of training programs that support good environmental practices and ensure compliance with State and Federal agency regulations (e.g., SPCC, SWPPP, Tier II, TRI).
- Conducts requiredinternal environmental sampling and completing timely inspections and audits to detect and eliminate unsound environmental practices and conditions and developing and implementing corrective and preventive actions to address non-conformities.
- Collects and maintains accurate records as required by federal, state and local regulatory authorities.
- Reports noncompliant issues in a timely manner to facility and corporate management.
- Maintains knowledge of current and proposed federal, state, and local environmental reports to help prepare, revise and implement required permits, licenses, orders and decrees.
- Helps gather and evaluate analytical data and other environmental information to assess site compliance. Manages environmental data, records and documents in a confidential manner. Provide monthly summary analysis.
- Communicates with and maintains professional relationships with environmental agency personnel regarding construction and operating permit issues. Work with regional and corporate HSE team to negotiate compliance issues and enforcement actions as well as provide requiredreports.
- Provides technical expertise and leadership for on-site environmental emergency response situations or for incidents that occur during the off-site shipment of material.
This position has a dual reporting relationship to the Plant Manager and the Director HSE, RPNA. As such, the individual must be able to manage communications effectively.
- Bachelor’s Degree and minimum of five (5) years demonstrated HSE experience in a manufacturing environment. HSE Management experiencepreferred.
- Strong project management and planning skills in order to develop and then implement an aggressive, forward-thinking, and cohesive plan to improve facility safety performance and maintain environmental compliance.
- Strong persuasion and motivation skills as well as, the ability to work across all disciplines and employee levels.
- Strong communication skills – written and verbal. Ability to accurately write reports, communicates verbally with employees, provide constructive feedback and maintain positive employee relations.
- Ability to work varied hours, provide 24/7 support as needed to the plant and travel occasionally.