Metal Injection Molding Research and Development Engineer
Primary Responsibilities: CTC is seeking a self-motivated and experienced engineer to lead New Product Development for Metal Injection Molding (MIM) research and development activities. In this position you will be responsible for driving the design and development of innovative product lines. You will be part of a team specializing in applied research, product & technology development, project management, and must be capable of driving innovation and new product ideas, estimating development costs and monitoring assigned projects through all phases of development. You will oversee product testing and documentation including the writing of product performance specifications and test plans. This position involves close coordination with business leaders, engineering teams, marketing, and customer base.
The successful candidate must demonstrate the ability to:
- Perform/specify the required testing for design and performance verification. Design/Manage Experiments
- Set up molding and secondary equipment and problem solve to ensure quality parts are produced
- Coordinate internal and external mold builds, repairs and modifications
- Qualify vendors, suppliers, components
- Establish strong relationships with internal and external associates
- Independently conduct technical investigations and prepare written reports
- Use proper process procedure documentation and databases for performing routine set up functions and troubleshooting
- Evaluate molding processes to update techniques and improve quality, safety and productivity efficiencies.
- Ensure the processes fall within validated windows or established guidelines.
- Develop ideas that can become CTC Intellectual Property and/or protected by patents.
- Design and specify process control capabilities and standards.
- May include robotics, part pickers and vision systems.
- Pre-plan safety into work activities to improve performance and proactively identify safety concerns.
- Participate in continual improvement/innovation, corrective action and internal/external customer satisfaction.
- Lead identifying and troubleshooting of molding problems and work with engineering team to distinguish between process issues and mold issues.
- Identify and implement improvement projects to increase molding output, operator productivity, and product yields
- Be involved in other processes such as loading furnaces, running analytical testers (density/viscosity/chemical), performing inline quality checks, etc.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or equivalent, and 6-10 years of experience in a related manufacturing environment.
- Proficiency with MS Office software, including MS Project and Excel, 3D CAD Design
- Expertise with Metal Injection Molding and Metallurgical Background.
- Perform mold flow analysis to develop tooling.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, communication and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work in a multi-functional team environment. Effective communication and a team oriented attitude are an absolute must.
- Must be willing to learn and evaluate new technologies as necessary from a customer and business prospective.
- Previous designs involving manufacturing process such as sheet metal fabrication, plastic injection molding, metal stamping, machining, electronics design, is a definite plus.
Clearance: U.S. citizenship required. Must be able to obtain and maintain a U.S. Government Secret level clearance.