The Manager, Financial Performance Management provides subject matter expertise to support the month-end, quarter-end and year-end reporting process, including regulatory and external reporting. The role utilizes plan, forecast and actual financial information to provide an understanding of business drivers and identify opportunities to improve performance. Additionally, the role manages the financial communication processes within Canadian P&C to develop clear, concise and consistent messages that lead to management action.
The role is accountable to collaborate with others internally and externally (e.g. LOB Finance end-users, departments in the Chief Accountant’s and Controllers Groups, Corporate Treasury, Capital Markets Finance and Technology & Operations) to resolve issues that cut across functional lines and provide solutions ensuring timely, accurate, efficient and effective service delivery. This includes reviewing and/or personally performing some service delivery, processing activities that are highly complex in nature.
The role ensures proper processes are in place to effectively execute activities in line with accounting and regulatory, enterprise, and Finance standards as well as the Bank’s governance policies. The Manager, Finance will liaise with various levels of management in various areas of the bank.
- Maintain strong relationships with the Managers and Sr. Managers in Finance (i.e., CAG, Groups, and Corporate), T&O and LOBs to manage and execute the reporting/accounting needs in support of their objectives.
- Understand clients’ immediate reporting needs and assist the LOBs and Groups, when called upon, in the development of strategies they can implement to achieve their goals.
- When called upon, work in partnership with LOB and other corporate service areas to assist in optimal structuring and execution of new initiatives and strategies from an accounting, risk and regulatory perspective. Ensure that structures comply with accounting and regulatory rules and guidelines.
- Liaise with internal auditors, external auditors and regulators to provide necessary information on arising issues and ensure queries are responded to.
- Provide advice and technical expertise, within the scope of assigned tasks, to colleagues, partners/clients, and enterprise initiatives, as required.
- Manage and control possible client issues and conflicts to ensure resolution or escalate as necessary.
Functional Expertise, Advisory & Innovation
- Accountable for month/quarter end reporting and ad hoc reporting as required
- Develop a strong understanding of the Canadian P&C business to facilitate the coordination, drafting and issuance of accurate and timely reporting to the senior executive team, including:
- Reporting of financial results to Canadian P&C executives and BMO executives monthly/quarterly/annually
- Canadian P&C sections of the press release, board slides and analyst slides
- Quarterly Performance Committee slides and briefing notes
- Identifying issues, determining financial implications and informing senior executives of opportunities, including providing recommendations
- Execute and coordinate formal segregation of duties between preparation and review of highly complex reporting and month end activities.
- Oversee and approve input, analysis, and recommendations for the continuous improvement of processes and procedures with the scope of the work team and participate in the planning and implementation of projects.
Continuous Improvement and Change Management
- Recommend and implement continuous improvement and change initiatives on an ongoing basis to operational methods and workflows within the Group Finance team.
- Foster an environment of continuous improvement of finance processes and procedures and encourage all employees on the team to identify process improvements/new ideas and adopt best practices.
Risk Management & Control
- Recommend and develop standards and processes to ensure consistency in financialreporting where possible.
- Be knowledgeable of changing requirements for accounting/regulatory/risk and manage the changes into the groups and into work processes.
- Monitor, review and report on the operation and effectiveness of accounting controls.
- Maintain a current knowledge of accounting, regulatory requirements and escalate the potential reporting/accounting/operational impacts and associated accounting issues
- Provide support to internal audits, external audits, and regulatory audits by ensuring documentation and information is provided or queries are responded to by the appropriate staff in a timely manner.
Knowledge & Skills
- Post-secondary education in Finance, Accounting, or related discipline.
- Attained accounting designation preferred
- Minimum 5 - 7 years of relevant experience in the Banking or financial industry.
- Advanced knowledge in application of accounting concepts pertinent to Chief Accountant’s Group.
- Advanced knowledge in the use of financial software applications, databases, spreadsheets (such as Microsoft Excel) and/or word processing is required.
- Knowledge of BMO Financial Group structure and financial information systems is desirable.
- Advanced understanding of the group’s risk and regulatory requirements is required.
- In-depth knowledge of the systems and reporting requirements of all financial products in which the Bank transacts.
- Excellent operational and analytical background.
- Advanced analytical, critical thinking skills, and integrative skills
- Strong ability to evaluate processes, question the rationale to identify potential problems and recommend feasible solutions.
- Strong ability to communicate and network with others to convey information effectively at senior management level.
- Ability to deliver in an environment with competing priorities
- Excellent analytical skills; the ability to discern large amounts of data and focus on the critical business issues.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Respect for highly confidential information.
- Ability to work under pressure and tight timeframes.
- Ability to build a collaborative, team environment.
- Ability to work independently and efficiently multi-task.