Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum'sfinancial protection benefits help protect more than 33 million working people and their families from thefinancial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
This is an intermediate level position that requires significant technical expertise including programming, statistical proficiency and advanced data manipulation skills. This individual will continuously increase business knowledge with a consultant mindset approach and focus on identifying opportunities to improve our business outcomes. While some review by a senior actuary, statistician orother data scientist manager is expected, this individual will take initiative in designing and implementing complete analytical solutions to support business issues. Considerable reliance will be placed on the individual’s judgment and ability to interact with business partners with a highdegreeof professionalism.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Integrate large volume of data from different sources including DB2, SQL Server, Web API and Teradata into a common analytics warehouse.
- Capture business expertise and needs through job shadowing experiences and interviews.
- Apply such knowledge as well as validation, aggregation and reconciliation techniques to create rich modeling-ready data framework.
- Design and execute solutions using statistical, optimization, simulation and data mining methods with a focus on delivering actionable business value.
- Efficiently interpret results and communicate findings and potential value to manager and business partners.
- Play a lead role in integrating solutions within existing business processes using automation techniques.
- Consult and mentor on statistical work for actuaries and analysts within the area.
- Understand theory and application of current and emerging statistical methods and tools.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelors Degree, required and Masters degree in Mathematics, Statistics or Operations Research preferred
- A minimum of four years hands-on experience and in-depth knowledge of statistical and related methods (experimental design, regression, time series analysis, machine learning).
- Strong problem solving ability, broad programming skills and project management skills.
- Advanced SQL and database handling skills.
- Hands on experience with SAS EM, SPSS, R or similar dedicated modeling software.
- Solid written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong motivation to stay in touch with data science progress and explore new capabilities.