Reports to the director of communications and provides art direction and production guidance and oversight for Lifespan and Lifespan’s partners. Operates with considerable independence and flexibility within the confines of an annual work plan and requires limited project supervision and oversight. Plans and manages the portion of the departmental budget related to assigned area(s) of activity.
Translates marketing communication strategies into effective design and visual communication solutions while ensuring consistent branding across all Lifespan facilities. Manages the day-to-day operations of creative services staff, currently four graphic designers and one photographer, to maintain the highest possible standards of design for digital and printed collateral materials produced by Lifespan.
Researches and evaluates general design, digital, and printing technical developments, as well as health care marketing initiatives. Recommends, develops and implements new marketing materials in support of strategic marketing plans.
Manages the conduct of design projects consistent with the department's process for defining project priorities, schedules, key messages, budgets and evaluations.
Overall responsibility for Lifespan’s graphic standards and identity.
Consistently applies the corporate values of respect, honesty and fairness and the constant pursuit of excellence in improving the health status of the people of the region through the provision of customer-friendly, geographically accessible and high-value services within the environment of a comprehensive, integrated academic health system. Responsible for knowing and acting in accordance with the principles of the Lifespan Corporate Compliance Program and Code of Conduct.
Creates design solutions that meet strategic business objectives, briefing, directing and overseeing the work of all level graphic designers and photographers.
- Mentors each member of the team to ensure that all can maintain high quality standards in digital and print design.
- In addition to designing digital and print materials, oversees multiple projects in the department’s work queue from conception through completion. Works closely with the department project manager, marketing, editorial and the creative team to ensure graphic and brand standards are adhered to.
- Ensures that all projects are proofread and that quality control standards are maintained.
- Provides information for monthly reports.
- Provides advanced conceptualization, graphic design, and consultation. Strategically relates design work to partners’ goals and business (for example, responsibility for specified partner’s graphic image or service lines in accordance with the partner’s marketing and strategic plans)
- Understands different trends and appearances in design. Is able to alter style for different contexts.
- Participates in the creative development process for marketing communications efforts, including print collateral and advertising and electronic media advertising, as well as other promotional approaches.
- Serves as the marketing and communications expert in design software and creation of digital advertising. Produces complex files that consistently image properly to press and electronic media. Troubleshoots problem files, prepress, press and bindery issues; regularly works with 4 to 6 color separation on printed pieces, die-cuts, varnishes, inserts.
- For print projects, attends press checks, independently supervising printers to achieve the highest quality within the project’s budgetary and equipment limits
- Independently manages all aspects of print buying and production on assigned projects, meeting project deadlines and budget on a wide range of mid- to high-budget print projects.
- Responsible for vendor relations, bids, schedules and deadlines as well as delivery and documentation on assigned projects. Researches and interviews new vendors as technology and projects dictate.
- Controls outside expenditures.
- Maintains list of preferred suppliers.
- Using independent judgment, responsible for print budget on assigned projects.
- Responsible for tracking, verifying and submitting invoices for payment.
- Art-directs staff photographer and locates and directs freelance photographers and designers as needed.
- In-depth knowledge of postal regulations and mailing processes.
- Participates as member of work team to collectively plan, review and provide for information exchange related to assignments.
- Participates in ongoing independent study, research, education-related professional activities and affiliations to maintain current knowledge of developments in the field of communications and graphic design for both digital and print media.
- Works directly with leadership, marketing, editorial and development staff and managers.
- Participates in or facilitates various committees, task forces and quality improvement teams as needed
GENERAL DEPARTMENTAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Works with communications, marketing and media teams to ensure satisfaction of external and internal customers. Performs duties in accordance with the mission of Lifespan: Delivering health with care.
Effective utilization of resources
Management of continuous quality improvement
High-quality, high-value, patient-focused services
Development and implementation of effective quality programs
Performance improvements year-to-year
Positive feedback from peers, directs reports, and staff
· Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or related field
· Extensive knowledge of all aspects of graphic design for digital and print
· Highly proficient with Macintosh technology and software (such as Indesign, QuarkXpress, Illustrator, PhotoShop, Flash, FileMaker Pro, Microsoft Word, Powerpoint and others)
Minimum of seven years as a senior level graphic designer, with a portfolio to demonstrate a broad and diverse scope of design work as well as a high caliber of work.
- Extensive knowledge of and experience with digital formats and software.
- Extensive print production and print buying experience.
- Expertise in computer graphics, production techniques, and design equipment.
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to effectively and independently coordinate multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment; ability to adapt to and take full advantage of changing technology in design tools.
- Management experience.
Supervisory responsibility for four FTEs: Senior Graphic Designers, Graphic Designers, and Photographer.
Job Number: LCS15628