Crown Castle provides wireless carriers with the infrastructure they need to keep people connected and businesses running. With approximately 40,000 towers and 26,500 miles of fiber supporting small cells, Crown Castle is the nation’s largest provider of shared wireless infrastructure with a significant presence in the top 100 US markets. Crown Castle is an S&P 500 company and one of the largest Real Estate Investment Trusts in the United States with an enterprise value of approximately $44 billion.
Position Title: IT Business Intelligence (BI) Architect
The Business Intelligence Architect’s role is to strategically design and implement BI software and systems, including integration with databases and data warehouses. This position, through the Scrum development methodology, requires working with the various business units and leading the reporting development teams to deliver reporting functionality. This individual works as the technical team lead and facilitates all development meetings with the business and IT. The BI architect will be responsible for leading and guiding multiple development team efforts per release. Additionally the BI architect is expected to gather release oriented needs to facilitate setting the technical direction for long term growth and scalability. Such direction will likely manifest itself in the requirements gathering and design a future reporting data warehouse.
Essential Job Functions
- Assess and cultivate long-term strategic goals for BI development in conjunction with end users, managers, clients, and other stakeholders.
- Act as evangelist for BI benefits across the organization; promote BI usage to relevant departments.
- Conduct research and make recommendations on BI products, services, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts.
- Direct, organize, and lead projects in the implementation and use of new BI software tools and systems.
- Perform the Scrum Master responsibilities for BI Scrum projects. This includes both Scrums with the business owners and internal BI scrums to manage the work queue
- Develop routines and procedures for end-users to facilitate best practices use of reporting tools.
- Design, code, test, and document all new or modified BI system components and programs.
- Develop the semantic layer, metadata, reports, and report definitions.
- Proactively communicate with, support and guide end users during application release cycles to ensure definition of requirements and testing of new release can be completed by predefined target dates.
- Identify inefficiencies and gaps (data integrity, security, performance, manageability, etc.) in current BI environment and leverage solutions.
- Lead the integration efforts for merging BI platforms with enterprise systems and applications.
- Work the Database team in the design of databases and data warehouses to ensure interoperability with BI solutions.
- Lead the development and definition of documentation and standards for the BI reporting environment.
- Has regular contact with professional organizations, user groups, and industry trade groups to stay current with technology.
- Has regular contact with outside vendors for additional support as needed.
- Provide third-level application support. Resolve problems and answer questions related to the reporting environment and layered products; contact vendor support when necessary; facilitate customer problem resolution with optimum speed and efficiency.
- Closely monitor performance of reporting environment; identify problems and implement solutions; ensure the reports are running at optimum speed and efficiency.
- Install and upgrade the organizations business intelligence platform. Keep the business intelligence platform at current release and maintenance levels; install supporting products; provide a current, stable reporting environment.
- Adhere to departmental policies for reporting and managing trouble tickets and change control.
- Communicate reporting changes, enhancements, and modifications – verbally or through written documentation – to management and team members so that issues and solutions are understood.
- Consistently complete tasks within agreed upon target dates.
- Mentor and coach junior members of the team.
- Attend daily production meetings while on-call and keep apprised of database trouble tickets and change requests in preparation for the meeting.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related discipline preferred
- Master’s degreepreferred; equivalent experience acceptable
- WebFOCUS Professional certification preferred
- Five (5) to seven (7) years experience in the design, administration, programming, and support of an enterprise reporting environment using the WebFOCUS business intelligence platform
- At least five years experience in Agile development and a thorough understanding of the Scrum development methodology
- Strong programming background and skills
- Complete understanding of the WebFOCUS product architecture including but not limited to the Develop Studio, ManagedReporting software, and Visual Discovery
- Strong understanding of relational database structures, theories, principles, and practices
- Comprehensive data warehouse analysis and design experience, with full knowledge of data warehouse methodologies and data modeling
- Demonstrated ability with Oracle SQL scripting with particular attention given to detail and accuracy
- Proven track record of strong project management skills with ability to manage multiple small to large projects in cross-functional environment
- Strong ability to analyze user requirements and build front-end BI applications according to specifications
- Strong analytical, conceptual and problem-solving skills; ability to weigh various suggested technical solutions against the original business needs and choose the most cost-effective solution
- Strong knowledge and understanding of business needs, with the ability to establish and maintain a high level of customer trust and confidence in the database team; familiarity with line-of-business legacy systems
- Highly self-motivated and cooperative attitude
- Ability to effectively prioritize and manage tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Strong customer focus and ability to manage client expectations
- Strong mentoring and coaching skills
- Effective teamwork, interpersonal, and communication skills; ability to present and explain technical information to diverse types of audiences in a way that establishes rapport and gains understanding