Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in speciality glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Corning's Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning’s existing & emerging businesses.
We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning’s businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning’s manufacturing as a differential advantage.
Scope of Position:
Broaden and extend Corning Inc.’s competency in the field of precision machinery system design, development, and implementation for a variety of applications from prototype to plant floor level manufacturing systems. This will require an individual familiar with developing, promoting, and implementing the following; unique machine system designs to solve non-classical applications, an understanding of micron and sub-micron metrology principles and procedure’s for machinery systems, the ability to develop machine specifications and error budgets, the ability to design and analyze machinery systems utilizing state of the art computer modeling and analysis software packages, project management of applications from concept to certification and installation of the systems at a manufacturing location, be proactive in the propagation of precision engineering principles and practices within Corning.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Interface and work with the Research, Development and Manufacturing teams that are involved in the innovation and manufacture of new products and machine systems for any of Corning’s Divisions including Science and Technology (R&D), Display Technologies, Environmental Technologies, Specialty Materials and Life Sciences.
- Focus will be on the design and analysis of first generation /next generation products, machines, machine fixturing and machine components for robustness of design from a material selection, material analysis and material behavior perspective.
- Work with other project team members on solving difficult mechanicalengineering related problems, understanding project related issues, and general process engineering and process understanding.
- Utilize internal lab facilities and equipment to develop proof of concept prototypes.
- Interface with outside suppliers on specifying and procuring various precision products, fixture and machine components to support the projects they are involved in.
- Interface with internal R&D and manufacturing customers and internal trades personnel to get the systems set-up and functional.
- Individual must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Individual must investigate prior art and document any Intellectual Property developed as part of their project activities.
- Individual must document project results through internal reporting means.
- Individual must present the project(s) they are involved with for review by peers, customers and managers.
- Work as a team member/advisor during the development of new precision machine systems with system integrators and/or external sub-contractors.
- Report on project activities on a pre-determined basis. Ensure results meet the customer’s requirements and standards.
- Maintain records and track expenditures against allocated funds. Estimate time required to accomplish tasks and monitor performance against schedules.
- Individual must be capable of executing project assignments with minimal supervision.
- Individual will be expected to work in a High Performance Work Team environment.
- Some project travel is expected and will depend upon the project portfolio
- Estimated travel at 10% - 30% depending upon specific project assignment.
- Travel may be required during installation, debug, and start-up as well as for routine interaction with internal and external Customers and Suppliers.
- B.S./M.S. in Mechanical Engineering or ElectromechanicalEngineering
Required Years and Area of Experience:
- Minimum 5 years in a technical field to include:
- Process, Equipment or Product Development or Engineering
- Project or Engineering Management
- Project Level Supervisory Experience
- Technology or Product Transfer (preferred)
- The use to technical expertise to influence precision machine systems design and development
- Technical Interface between Corning, and OEM automation suppliers to insures Corning success on New Business Development programs
- Leadership – Champion new ideas; lead by example; provide constructive feedback to co-workers
- Tolerance of Ambiguity – Working in development environment with evolving requirements
- Decision Making and Problem Solving – Able to review facts and weigh options using a systematic approach to solve problems
- Communication – Clearly present ideas and interpret complex information
- Teamwork – work closely with other team members and departments; share credit
- Flexibility – change ideas and focus based on new ideas
- Commitment to Task – demonstrate dependability and sense of urgency about getting results
- Planning/ Prioritizing/ Goal Setting – Manage multiple projects; establish plan and use goals to guide actions; schedule people and tasks to complete projects
- Innovative and technically curious
- Problem solving and decision making
- Results oriented
- Forward looking
- Excellent external university, supplier and customer interface management skills
- Excellent prior-art research skills
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Excellent presentation skills
- Ability to work on a diverse project team
- Ability to effectively deal with high levels of uncertainty, ambiguity, and change
- Ability to build new business relationships
- Ability to work with people from a variety of different technical backgrounds
Req #: 4501