Elsevier is the world's leading provider of scientific, technical and medical (STM) information, tools and resources. A global company based in Amsterdam, Elsevier partners with scientists, researchers, healthcare providers, educators and decision-makers in academic institutions, governments and corporations to help them find, evaluate and use information. Our breadth of content is unparalleled, spanning virtually every STM field in the world and includes such distinguished brands as Gray's Anatomy, The Lancet and Cell. Using innovative technology, we deliver our content through tools that help our customers be more productive and successful in their work.
Reporting to the VP of Strategy, Pricing and Analytics, the Sales Strategy & Analytics Senior Manager / Director will lead initiatives to provide strategic insights and analytics to senior leadership enabling them to take informed actions. You will provide these insights and analytics by leveraging a data-mining approach requiring you to utilize your quantitative analysis skillset to produce various reports. In this position you will be working with leadership to establish and own strategic and tactical priorities. Additionally, you will be responsible for delivering analysis and insights using ad-hoc and standing business intelligence (BI) dashboards to measure, monitor and illustrate the health of the operational and financial performance of the overall business. The role will be responsible for presenting analysis, findings and progress regularly to executives. This role will operate across a matrixed organization and collaborate closely with all areas of the business, especially finance, pricing, sales, operations and marketing.
Assist in developing and executing sales strategy that ties to overall business unit strategy as well as financial plans and targets
Own, develop and maintain the daily, weekly, monthly, etc., performance reporting of the overall sales organization.
Provide data-driven commercial analysis to measure and monitor business performance.
Work to define and develop BI reports / dashboards for the most relevant and important key performance indicators (KPIs)
Develop executive level presentations detailing sales strategy, efforts and progress.
Actively participate in management and executive management meetings, articulating analytical process and key findings in a manner that enables, improves and accelerates decision making.
Identify and size improvement opportunities
Recommend solutions and drive execution of them.
Execute ad hoc analysis of specific commercial issues/questions in support of new product development/launch, strategic planning, M&A due diligence, or other business priorities.
Utilize advanced statistical analysis methods for predictive modeling and optimization projects.
Lead, drive and assist in salesforecasting and financialforecasting.
Drive development of sales’ yearly strategic/operations plan; assist in development of group’s yearly strategic/operations plan.
Drive and execute ad-hoc strategic projects across a matrixed organization.
Multitask to balance multiple projects at various stages of planning/execution.
Assist in gathering competitive intelligence on market as well as market sizing activities.
Own other strategic projects including but not limited to: M&A, customer research, new product business plans, etc.
- Bachelor’s DegreeRequired (Degree in business / analytical discipline preferred, however, previous experience in a similar or comparable role can be substituted for the business degree)
- MBA required (top-tier MBA preferred)
- 5+ years of total experience including 2+ years as a strategy consultant/investment banker and/or 3+ years’ experience in a strategy / analytics function at a large company
- 2+ years of post-MBA experience in a strategy/investment banking role
- Experience developing executive level PowerPoint presentations and presenting to senior executives/clients
- Demonstrated ability to lead matrixed teams effectively
- Significant project experience or industry experience working with Sales teams and leading sales optimization efforts / salesreporting efforts
- Data gathering, cleansing, and analysis of large volumes of order management, financial, and product data sourced from internal and external repositories
- Conducting and evaluating business performance and insights using data driven analytical analysis
- Effective utilization of data manipulation and visualization tools, such as Excel, Access, Tableau, Domo, etc. to conduct and present analysis results. Proficiency in Excel is Required.
- DesiredExperience/Exposure to leading CRM and ERP systems such as SFDC, RightNow, Oracle Financials, Dynamics/Great Plains and PeopleSoft Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Demonstrated ability to lead and execute on strategic projects
- Executive presence and presentation skills
- Lead and execute across matrixed organizations
- Strong analytical capabilities with understanding of relational databases
- High attention to detail and reporting accuracy
- Strong sense of urgency, personal commitment, and ownership of work
- Flexible, able to manage multiple projects and adapt to changing priorities
- Ability to communicate effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization
- Experience with data visualization applications preferred (e.g. GoodData)
- In depth knowledge of Powerpoint as well as supporting charting tools (e.g. Think-Cell)