ABB is seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineer in the R&D department that is ready to take the next step in their career. The Lewisburg facility develops Process Gas Chromatograph and Photometer products. The successful candidate will participate in the development of the next generation of process gas chromatography technology for ABB. The product research and development lifecycle for this effort is two to five years. You will be part of an R&D team that consist of 15 permanent staff, and interact with the global ABB Measurement Products R&D organization around the world.
Typical duties/responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
Plan, conduct or coordinate a range of complex engineering activities associated with measurement product research and development for process analyzers, encompassing one or more engineering disciplines. Conduct or coordinate complex analyses and develop new technology and products based on sound engineering practices and business considerations. Manage or coordinate major development projects of substantial impact to the company.
Requires in-depth knowledge of the mechanical engineering discipline, plus broad knowledge of multiple engineering fields to influence direction of engineering efforts, coordinate projects, adapt to changing technology, present proposals, and conceive and foster introduction of new concepts and approaches. Technical recommendations and decisions may have significant impact on the effectiveness and integrity of engineering efforts, and effect future business and customer relations. Requires ability to negotiate and influence decisions of senior company managers and major customers.
1. Develop the overall mechanical concept for new Analyzer products, while working closely with the chief systems engineer in this regard. A typical product interfaces with devices like analog pressure transducers, electromechanical valves driven by either solenoids or stepper motors, LCD displays, LEDs, optical encoders, etc.
2. Based on design and performance specifications, develop Analyzer system requirements and design documents to support implementation of new product development. Implement and test mechanical design items in accordance with documented designs and requirements.
3. Research and make recommendations regarding new technologies and their applicability to new product development, through varied analytical studies such as evaluation of advanced engineering concepts, procedures and processes.
4. Analyze engineering and financial requirements of proposed programs, develop proposals and coordinate associated activities up to and including product delivery, installation and customer support.
5. Serve as technical consultant, advisor and spokesperson for the organization on highly significant matters and exert considerable influence regarding focus and direction of engineering activities. Negotiate with customers, matters of considerable significance that may impact current and future business.
6. Design and develop complex models or simulations of systems and conduct independent studies and research encompassing sophisticated analytical techniques and novel and unconventional approaches. May temporarily manage and direct activities of other engineers and assist in their professional and technical development.
7. Maintain awareness of state-of-the-art technology and market trends affecting Company products and services and recommend responsive actions.
Bachelor’s degree and 5 years of engineering experience;
-Masters Degree in Mechanical Engineering and 5 years of engineering experience and knowledge of process analyzers
• Analytical flow system design knowledge is a plus
• Basic understanding of Electrical CAD is a bonus
• Strong background in product development of measurement devices.
• In-depth experience developing mechanical systems associated analytical measurements and detector hardware.
• Knowledge of SolidWorks, SolidEdge, AutoCAD, L-Edit, ANSI-simulation, Math-Lab
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including ability to efficiently work with people from a variety of professional backgrounds
• Excellent critical thinking and problem solving abilities
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB
ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.