The Purchasing Manager Purchasing is responsible for planning and organizing purchasing activities insuring low total cost of ownership, high quality procurement of direct or indirect materials or services, or outsourced products or services needed to meet the needs of GAF. The candidate will negotiate commercial and service criteria and develop contracts, in alignment with corporate policies and procedures, which ensure competitive pricing and which fully protect the company against missed deliveries, shortages and outages, poor material quality, and other performance and/or supplier issues that might adversely affect GAF.
The candidate will monitor macro trends in his/her supplier contract base and devise and implement plans to react, protecting GAF from commodity price swings and ensuring material supply availability. The individual will drive adherence to defined supplier performance metrics and will manage the supply base to ensure alignment with those metrics. The candidate will also lead, and/or participate on, cross functional teams and will drive implementation of sourcing requirements necessary to achieve project objectives. He or she will have a mature understanding of the industry and will maintain industry and supplier contacts and relationships, building effective partnerships.
The Purchasing Manager will exhibit full commodity understanding (function, technology, content difference) necessary to align targets and program deliverables. The individual will demonstrate understanding of the commodity competitive market and key commodity indices in order to make recommendations and implement alternative suppliers or alternative materials. The Purchasing Manager will develop, document, and implement commodity sourcing strategies.
20-25% Negotiate with suppliers for execution of Supply Agreements that achieve lowest total system cost and which are in accordance with company policies and procedures.
15-20% Manage contractual commitments and supplier assessments, ensuring all purchases consistent with quality and delivery requirements.
15-20% Partner with internal GAF organization to lead supply based projects, identifying benefits and providing periodic updates to management. Coordinate with internal customers to implement supply of product or service, including recommended supplier changes.
10-15% Analyze, develop and deliver timely cost information. Report and communicate Procurement activities. Provide supply-based market intelligence to internal GAF partners.
10-15% Assess suppliers and potential suppliers. Oversee tracking of supplier metrics, and communicate performance. Manage vendor relationships and build effective partnerships.
5-10% Develop and implement sourcing strategies which are aligned with GAF business objectives.
5-10% Train Plant buyers, department analysts, expediters, assistants, as required.
5-10% Other duties as assigned.
LEVEL BASED COMPETENCIES:
- Facilitating Change
- Building Strategic Working Relationships
- Business Acumen
- Developing Others
- Planning and Organizing
- Strategic Decision Making
- Managing Conflict
Technical knowledge/skills (Expected Mastery Level à Intermediate to Advanced)
- Strong understanding of standard purchasing and supply chain concepts, practices and procedures
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Strategic and systems thinking
- Excellent computer skills
- Familiar with financial management and analysis
- Ability to excel in a matrix management environment
- Global supply chain knowledge
General knowledge/skills (Expected Mastery Level à Intermediate to Advanced)
- Demonstrated leadership abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with strong customer focus
- Excellent organizational and follow up skills with strong attention to detail
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment
- Knowledge of company products
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Strong project management and vendor management skills
- Ability to direct the work of others
- Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills
- Understand elements of Marketing, Manufacturing and R&D and their respective strategies
- Bachelor’s Degree in field of supply chain, business, science or engineering
- Master’s Degreepreferred
- Minimum of 8+ years of experience in procurement
- Industrial manufacturing and/or Business Management experiencepreferred
- Experience in use of ERP system (PeopleSoft, SAP, or equivalent) and AMMS system (Maximo)
No of direct reports: 0
No of indirect reports: 0-3
Budget Responsibility: n/a
Travel Requirements: 20-25%