The Manager, Tax II provides direct support to the Sr. Manager, Tax and responsible for federal tax compliance and reporting related to the legal entities in addition to detailed reviews of the income tax provision and tax accounting positions and processes. This position conducts detailed reviews of federal tax returns and reporting as well as tasked with identifying areas of improvement and enhancement related to the LKE reconciliation process. This position Tax also assists in state tax return preparation and research relevant current legislative and accounting developments and prepare written technical memorandum as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Manage specific areas of federal tax compliance and reporting on the legal entities, especially for insurance entities, including federal tax return review, income tax provision review and reporting, self-procurement, and related insurance tax accounting considerations. Position will be expected to develop into subject matter expert.
2. Responsible for completing detailed review of consolidated income tax provision, including deferred tax reconciliations, effective tax rate reconciliation, tax accounts, and reporting.
3. Promote a well-controlled environment which includes developing and maintaining policies and procedures, identifying and implementing process improvements related to reconciliation of lease portfolio in connection with LKE program in addition to identifying other areas of improvement and documenting and implementing related plans.
4. Support the preparation of state tax returns for all of the company’s separate and combined filings. The Tax Manager II also assists research relevant current legislative and accounting developments and prepare written technical memorandum as requested.
5. Provide support to overall tax department as needed, especially in support of correct application of tax accounting concepts for federal income tax compliance and related reporting requirements. Perform all other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills:
• Technical knowledge and expertise in the area of domestic taxation.
• Strong knowledge and expertise lease servicing system.
• Excellent Microsoft Office skills. Must be proficient in Microsoft Excel and Access.
• Ability to research complex tax issues and provide guidance and support.
• Demonstrates strong analytical and organizational skills.
• Strong interpersonal communication skills.
• Strong business and technical writing skills.
• Problem solver and strong decision making ability.
• Ability to manage multiple priorities.
• Must be able to establish a high level of credibility with all levels of internal operations and external clients.
• High level of integrity and work ethic.
• Self starter and highly motivated (must be confident in own strength and ability to achieve goals).
• Must be creative and innovative (have the ability to search and find new solutions).
• The ability to understand business objectives and their relationship to the importance of individual projects.
• Manage, coach and train Income tax staff/team.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or Economics required.
• CPA and/or MBT preferred.
• 8+ years of relevant work experience; income tax field required.
• Big 4 experience preferred.
• Strong knowledge of tax laws with the ability to research the most complex Income tax issues.
• Strong research skills and proficient with tax preparation software.
• Insurance tax accounting preferred