The Director of Multimedia develops and executes a large variety of highly creative, multi-media solutions to support and strategically communicate the top priorities of the University–including public relations, brand development, social media, fundraising, recruitment, special events, and the studentexperience. The position is an important part of the senior creative team, and helps serves as a creative lead and project manager on key projects. Responsible for ensuring the strategic and creative alignment of all multimedia content, and the coordination and deployment of critical assets across multiple departments to ensure high quality products and adherence to all deadlines. Manages and directs staff consisting of photographers and videographers, and coordinates activity and direction with a variety of peers and colleagues across the institution.
- Develops innovative, creative, high touch, high quality, strategic and message-driven and image-based multi-media solutions to support high-priority communications objectives for University of Richmond.
- Assists in the initial development of creative concepts, creates detailed storyboards, writes, edits, and adapts scripts, and seeks appropriate approval and input at key points prior to and during all phases of production.
- Interviews faculty, staff, students, and alumni to ensure strategic messaging, and helps direct video and photo shoots to ensure optimum results. Helps prepare and direct comprehensive briefing documents, and coordinates and communicates strategies and status for development of deliverables.
- Serves as a primary account executive on assigned projects, meeting with the senior communications staff, vice presidents, deans, and/or their representatives to identify and emphasizes core messages.
- Directs the conception, execution, production planning, and organization for a wide variety of multimedia projects. Works independently as project and creative manager on assigned projects to ensure effective collaboration of staff to deliver final products.
- Works closely with the marketing and brand team to ensure integration of branding and design objectives and to develop visual solutions, design assets, and technical support for multi-media projects across a variety platforms (print, digital, social, online, live performance).
- Directs and coordinates the efforts and core functions of the Multimedia staff with other division projects to effectively integrate new media and image based brand solutions into all aspects of University Communications activities.
- Manages and monitors the development of team-based project reports, video and photo activity logs, and helps communicate updates and status of projects to the administrative teams. Deploys knowledge usage of a variety of current project management technology and tools to support and communicate office projects and functions.
- Develops and manages comprehensive work-flow systems and procedures. Manages and monitors the archiving, storage, and retrieval functions of a large database of critical photo and video assets. Recommends and develops best practice management solutions for all office operations.
- Stays highly knowledgeable of current solutions, trends, innovations, and best case practices in multi-media creative development and execution, image creation, and all image and video based software systems.
- Helps manage and monitor a multi-faceted process of scheduling and scouting of locations, stays abreast of relevant University events for coverage and documentary opportunities, helps identifies and suggests opportunities for content and coverage.
- Establish and maintain standards for Web-based media and Social Media to enhance functionality of video and multimedia content. Stays abreast of rapidly evolving technology and media platforms.
- Helps manage, create, and strategically direct the University’s brand presence and content on major video sharing platforms such as You-Tube, Vimeo, as well as on University maintained web sites featuring relevant assets in both photography and video.
- Manages staff on deploying state-of-the-art equipment and production resources, and the ongoing maintenance and acquisitions needs.
- Stays abreast of rapidly evolving technology and media platforms and stays current on training for all technical aspects of the various software, hardware and processes for multimedia production and online communication.
- Demonstrated proficiency with videography and photography equipment, and image and sound capture.
- High-level proficiency and demonstrated skill and talent in all aspects of professional image editing, video editing, motion graphic development, pre and post production management and systems.
- Works in Macintosh, networked, team-based environment to share and account for all project resources.
- Demonstrated strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and manage the interest of multiple stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to pay attention to details
- Mus possess strong organizational and project management skills
- Must possess the ability to handle all phases of assigned projects from concept through final delivery.
- Ability to be flexible and adapt quickly to changing priorities, direction, and deadlines is essential.
- Demonstrated ability to translate messages into strategic visual solutions across multiple mediums.
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively, solve problems, plan directions, overcome obstacles and successfully negotiate with individuals and groups is essential
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision and collaboratively within a team-environment
- Demonstrated experience in creating strategic multi-media communications are required, supported by a strong portfolio
- Candidate must possess a strong knowledge and/orexperiencewith the following:
- All current industry standard programs for editing and enhancing video such as, but not limited to, After Effects, Premier, Final Cut Pro and Adobe Creative Suite
- Standard MS Office suite software such as Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint;
- Leading industry-standard image editing and file management programs, including Photoshop, Acrobat, Adobe Bridge
- Photographic and video project management
- Digital image manipulation for video, web, and print
- Digitalasset management and image and footage tagging.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of five years of experience in a professional media production environment.
- Baccalaureate degreerequired, with a concentration in journalism, photography, television production, communications, multimedia production, or related field
- Direct, in-house working experience in a multi-media leadership role is strongly preferred
- Previous work experience at an advertising agency, corporate in-house organization or higher education in-house creative team is desirable.
- Full-time, exempt position
- Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.; 7.75hrs./day; 38.75hrs./week
- Requires evening and weekend hours as needed to document events and maintain deadlines, independent travel accommodations.
Pay Grade 8
To see more detailed salary information please review the University of Richmond's Compensation Structure.
Located minutes from downtown Richmond, Virginia, the University of Richmond blends the intimacy of a small college with exceptional academic, research, and cultural opportunities usually found only at large institutions. Richmond offers a unique combination of undergraduate and graduate programs. Our School of Arts & Sciences anchors Richmond as a nationally ranked liberal arts university. A ranked business school, the nation’s first school of leadership studies, a highly respected law school, a nationally recognized international education program and the community-focused School of Professional and Continuing Studies build on that strong foundation and make this university something unique.
UR is committed to developing a diverse faculty, staff and student body, and to modeling an inclusive campus community which values the expression of differences in ways that promote excellence in teaching, learning, personal development and institutional success. In keeping with this commitment, our academic community welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds and candidates who support diversity. EOE