Sr. Software Staff Engineer
Moog’s Aircraft Group (AG) has been offering Superior Engineering and Advanced Technologies to the Commercial Aircraft Market for over six decades. Bill Moog’s invention enabled the technology for Fly-by-Wire flight controls used in today’s modern aircraft. Today Moog offers integrated flight control solutions, actuation control systems, and product based solutions for much of the commercial aircraft market, both here in the US and Globally.
As a Senior Software Staff Engineer in Moog’s Aircraft Group (AG), you’ll have responsibilities in the following areas:
• Be a key contributor to the proposal and specification of new products. Works closely with the customer(s) to insure the proposal/new product meets their needs regarding costs and functionality. Assess technical risks in order to make informed decisions regarding cost/benefit tradeoffs and selecting the technical approach. Recommend technical solutions to unique problems to provide a product that will meet the specifications within the projected costs.
• Assume project engineering responsibilities and would oversee the efforts of all disciplines involved in the project. This would include the work of other engineers (software, hardware, packaging, etc.), technicians, drafters, and ancillary personnel such as purchasing, manufacturing, etc. In addition, the incumbent engineer would oversee all phases of the project including proposals, technical approach, estimating, scheduling, and budgeting.
• Lead software engineering responsibilities on a project. The individual would be expected to be the primary technical point of contact with the customer and to approach this responsibility in a polished and professional manner. He/She will work to resolve technical conflicts to the mutual satisfaction of Moog and the customer. Responsible for the software design/development, and would be expected to provide technical direction and guidance to other software engineers assigned to the project.
• A primary responsibility of the project leader is to resolve conflicting objectives that occur during the course of the project. Examples of conflicting objectives include cost/schedule tradeoffs, cost/product feature tradeoffs, and recurring vs non recurring costs. In addition, the incumbent engineer must possess the necessary skills to enable him/her to lead productive meetings, give effective presentations, and tactfully direct the members of the project team to efficiently achieve project goals.
• Be instrumental in advancing software development within the engineering group. He/She should be influential in the introduction of new software engineering technologies such as languages, design and development tools, and estimating metrics.
• The individual shall possess the skills and knowledge required to define the system architecture of the product. This knowledge includes, but is not limited to, the current state of the art in microprocessors, communication methods, and various peripheral devices available. Also have a working knowledge of control systems, electrohydraulic servo valves, and electromechanical motion control. In addition, the incumbent engineer must have a thorough knowledge of testing methods to insure the safe and reliable operation of developed products.
Minimum Requirements -
• Bachelor of Science degree In the field of Electrical, Computer, or Software Engineering.
Minimum of 10 years experience in the design/development/test of real-time control software.
• Experience in software design and development including appropriate design methodologies, languages, operating systems, and the support tools
• Software, Test Software and Project Engineering experience
• Programming in C, C++, Assembly, and Python computer languages
• Communication interfaces including ARINC 429, Ethernet, RS-485, IEEE 1394 are desired.