Job Description Summary
The General Manager (GM) is the onsite leader of the hotel and represents the company with all guests, clients,associates, and owners. The General Manager isresponsible for consistently delivering results that contribute to the mission and overall success of the hotel by accomplishing performance objectives focused on driving revenue, controlling costs, providing guest andassociate satisfaction, and delivering product and service quality. To accomplish this the GM willwork directly with Sonesta’smarketing, revenue management,sales, human resources,finance, facilities,information technologyand procurement services that support the hotels.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Deliver on the promise of Sonesta Service in all interactions with guests and clients. Manage according to the
Sonesta G.U.E.S.T. standards and instill a passion for customer service in all associates of the hotel. Create
processes and procedures to ensure the hotel is properly supplied with all guest amenities, all food and
beverage outlets are meeting guest expectations, and the hotel is properly maintained and clean.
· Manage the direct sales activities of the hotel in partnership with the hotel’s Regional Sales Director (RSD) and
Global Sales Office (GSO) to uncover the appropriate demand located in the hotel’s trade area. Directly
supervise the hotel’s Director of Sales and partner with the above sales support team to create and execute the
hotel’s sales and marketing plan to secure the fair market share of business for the hotel.
· Manage the overall seasonal demand strategy in partnership with the hotel’s Regional Revenue Manager (RRM)
with regard to room type and length of stay pricing. Work with the hotel’s property management system
(Opera) and reservation system (Synxis) to maximize revenue through occupancy and rate adjustments based on
· Regularly sell hotel rooms through direct client contact.
· Establish and implement appropriate service recovery guidelines in order to ensure complete guest satisfaction.
Respond to guest complaints or concerns in a prompt and professional manner.
· Manage the Sonesta ES Suites brand positioning through the proper use of all marketing programs. This would
include, but is not limited to the creation of everyday surprises, the implementation and management of the
company’s guest recognition program (Travel Pass) and the proper use of all logo and graphics standards.
· Manage the front office, housekeeping, and food and beverage operation of the hotel through the direct
supervision of the Operations Manager.
· Manage the appearance, condition, and preventive maintenance of the physical plant through the direct
supervision of the Maintenance Manager.
· Attend Evening Social and Breakfast events as a representative of the management team of the hotel and to
prospect for additional sales leads.
· Lead the development, implementation and monitoring of capital and operational budgets for the hotel which
support the overall objectives of the company. Work with the Finance Department on the identification of
variances and communication to ownership on the hotel’s financial condition.
· In partnership with the hotel’s assigned General LedgerAccountant and in accordance with company rules and
policies, ensure the proper process is in place to manage and report the inflow of money in and out of the hotel.
· In partnership with the Manager, National Engineering and Facilities Operations and in accordance with
company rules and policies, ensure the proper process is in place to manage and report on the condition of the
physical building(s), grounds, and parking surfaces. This includes the creation and management of the hotel’s
annual capital and operations expense budget to improve and maintain the facility for guests and ownership.
· In partnership with the hotel’s assigned Human Resources representatives and in accordance with company
rules and policies, ensure the proper process is in place to manage and report on the human resources and
benefits programs within the hotel. This includes the recruiting, onboarding, training, ongoing performance
management, and offboarding of all associates of the hotel.
· In partnership with the assigned Information Technology representatives and in accordance with company rules
and policies, ensure the proper process is in place to manage and report on the proper use, maintenance and
location of all information technology hardware and software provided to the hotel. This includes the proper
use of all systems in order to service all guests and provide a return on investment to owners.
· In partnership with the assigned Procurement representatives and in accordance with company rules and
policies, ensure the proper process is in place to manage and report on the purchasing of all supplies needed to
manage the hotel. This includes the proper use of any platforms and/or programs to leverage purchasing power
and the analysis of hotel spending to identify efficiencies.
· Enforce hotel standards, policies, and procedures are in place within the hotel departments.
· Act as “Manager on duty” as required.
· Ensure compliance with federal, state and local laws regarding health, safety, and alcohol services.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
· Bachelor’s degree in Hotel Administration, Business Administration or related field preferred.
· Three years as a General Manager, Operations Manager, and/or Director of Sales in extended stay hotels
· Ability to speak, read, and write fluent English; otherlanguages beneficial.
· Professional verbal and written communication skills.
· Mathematical skills, including basic math, budgeting, profit/loss concepts, percentages, and variances.
· Problem solving, reasoning, motivating, organizational and training abilities.
· Ability to prioritize and organize work assignments.
· Experience with Microsoft Office and Opera systems preferred.
· Ability to travel including some overnight travel is required.
· Valid driver’s license required.
· Frequently standing up, bending, climbing, kneeling, and moving about the facility.
· Will be exposed to commercial cleaning chemicals
· Carrying, lifting or pulling items weighing up to 50 pounds.
· Frequently handling objects and equipment.
· Will be required to work mornings, evening, weekends, and holidays.
Sonesta recognizes that benefits play a vital role in helping ensure the health and financialsecurity of employees and their families. We offer a variety of benefits to our employees including: