This is the career/seniorlevel of theEngineering classification hierarchy within ElectricDistribution Design. Employees at this level manage work inengineering areas of specialization, with minimal supervision. Incumbents are expected to develop advanced skills and to have the ability to work independently, with guidance limited to unusual or complex projects or issues.
They are fully competent in use of concepts and procedures. They identify problems, develop solutions and take actions to resolve. Senior Engineer represents a level at which career may stabilize for manyyears.
Accurately evaluate options, and design safe, cost effective, reliable facilities for new residential, commercial andindustrial projects. This position may also design majorcircuitconstruction and rebuild projects across a zone or region. Due to this position’s customer interaction and/or job complexity, this is one ofDistribution’s primary face-to-face contacts with key customers (bothinternal and external).
With very minimal supervision,responsibilitiesand duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Provides engineering/technical expertise and guidance in the identification, analysis and resolution of problems of increasing scope and complexity in both inside as well as outside the scope of typical responsibility.
- Ensures accomplishment of business goals and objectives through effective planning, organizing, estimating, scheduling and monitoring of work activities; decisions may affect the operations or results of the work group and may have some impact on major projects or department results.
- Prepares thorough and accurate technical reports, correspondence, documentation, calculations and sketches related to defined problems and analysis of increasing scope and complexity.
- Conducts engineering and related studies; completes non-routine engineering projects with minimal oversight with the ability to independently manage project schedules and interfaces; competent to design, operate and maintain systems with moderate impact on existing systems.
- Possesses and applies the fundamental concepts, practices and procedures; proficient in technical and analytical competencies necessary to handle assignments of increasing complexity.
- Develops positive working relationships to effectively coordinate work activities. Demonstrates effective oral and written communication skills. Maintains accurate records and files.
- Supports the company's goals and represents the company positively and professionally.
Relocation Assistance for this position to be determined.
- Graduation from a four-year college or university with a Bachelor of Science in Engineering from an ABET accredited program or state registration as a Professional Engineer. A Master's degree in engineering will be considered in lieu of the B. S. engineeringdegree.
- Minimum of 6 years of engineeringexperience or 5 years of engineeringexperience with state registration as a Professional Engineer
- Registration as a Professional Engineer
- Proficient in engineering theories and principles
- Proficient in practices of researching engineering and design issues, evaluating alternatives, making sound recommendations and preparing and presenting recommendations
- Ability to deal with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Proficient in principles of project management
- Experience in the utility industry
- Electric Distribution Design experience
- Understanding of electric power industry
- Demonstrated effective negotiating skills
- Demonstrated effective time management skills
- Proficient user of programs including, but not limited to MS Office, design tools, Work Management systems, etc.
- Demonstrated analytical skills
- Demonstrated decision making skills
- Understanding of Electric Distribution materials, work procedures, policies, and work dependencies
- Understanding of Zero Injury Culture