The Technical Director - Cloud Engineering has a proven ability to architect, design, develop and implement highly automated solutions. This is a new role intended to fuel and drive future technology growth and innovation. This person should have a deep knowledge of current technology trends, best practices as well as a vision for the future. Ideal candidates will have a history of transformational and lateral thinking and ability to influence change. This role will determine and execute our Cloud strategy by leveraging a mix of Cloud products and using automation to streamline processes that deliver services to the Enterprise. As a technical leader, this person is able to balance driving transformation/innovation while managing relationships with other IT leaders. This role will include a heavy focus on partnering with other teams to refactor existing applications that are primarily java based to become cloud-native. We only hire “swiss army knives” and we want people who can solve challenging problems.
- Design/Architect continuous integration/deployment pipeline utilizing various technologies.
- Execute application architecture through working with delivery teams to enable the efficient and optimal use of ESI’s technology assets, ensuring adherence to ESI’s IT Strategy, Guidelines and Architecture Transformation.
- Provide in-depth technical consultation to business partners and IT management/development to ensure development of efficient application systems utilizing established standards, procedures and methodologies
- Installation and development of workflows and decision trees for Integration and automation in the cloud based solutions
- Responsible for large-scale implementations and transformations through managing multiple stakeholders at all levels (business, technical and regulatory); understands and addresses organizational barriers.
- Provides technical expertise in cross-functional and intra-departmental efforts.
- Apply best practices, strategies, methodologies, and approaches to support of the cloud stack environment
- Advanced problem solving skills and the ability to work collaboratively with other departments to resolve complex issues with innovative solutions
- Proven track record of developing a strategy and architecture framework in both digital and data domains.
- Bachelor’s Degree and 10-14 years experience or 16-20 without a degree
- Extensive knowledge about APIs. RESTful services that integrate with other data providers.
- Understanding of DevOps concepts and tools such as Cloud Foundry, Chef, Puppet, Kubernetes, Docker, Heroku buildpacks and BOSH.
- A commitment to best practices. Input on operational processes, DevOps, deployment checklists.
- Experience with strategic work planning and budgeting required
- 8+ years experience in software development, including languages, systems and frameworks such as Spring/Java, Ruby/Rails, Go, messaging (RabbitMQ/AMQP, JMS), RDBMS, NoSQL and Hadoop
- Understanding of cloud application design principles (such as those found at http://12factor.net)
- Experience with continuous integration/deployment technologies such as Jenkins, Concourse, GoCD, CircleCI, Artifactory and Github/Gitlab
- Experience with modern software build tools including Maven, Gradle and Bundler
- Understanding of agile software delivery principles
- Excellent communication skills, including presentations and negotiations
- Broad understanding of industry trends across software development/architecture, cloud operating platforms and data.