Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That’sTravelers. Our superiorfinancial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns meansecurity for our customers – and opportunities for our employees. You will findTravelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
An exceptional leadership opportunity as a part of our Digital Portfolio initiatives to provide customer solutions that are flexible, convenient, and competitive. Our lead software developer is a senior position on the team responsible for setting our design direction, leading and coaching our developers, and providing overall technical though leadership with respect to how we deliver capability to our customers. As a part of an Agile program our lead will also be accountable for ensuring technical excellence through the use of agile practices such as test driven development, continuous integration, and refactoring. Additional responsibilities include customer demos of work completed within iterations, removing impediments to the team’s success, and ensuring collective team ownership.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Leadership of work assignments across the technical project team
- Responsible for driving technical direction and execution from origination to implementation
- Servant leader that works to eliminate blocks that the team encounters
- Change Agent – Responsible for ensuring the team keeps a continuous improvement, inspect and adapt mindset
- Building and leveraging effective alliances across technical and business community.
- Agile coach for technical practices (test driven development, refactoring, continuous integration) geared at ensuring high quality code that is flexible to changing/evolving needs and maintenance
- Perform design and development activities to satisfy digital requirements
- Adopt and communicate new concepts, ideas, techniques and best practices
- Work closely with UX designers, business partners, and software architects to deliver highly usable software that satisfies the business requirements
- Advocate the use of technology to develop and/or redesign processes
- Demonstrate work in progress to our business community
Work closely with architecture and enterprise technology areas to influence and execute on our Digital Strategy
High School diploma or equivalent required. 5 years of programming/development experiencerequired. 1 year of experience as a technical lead required.
Education, Work Experience & Knowledge
Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred. 9 years of programming/development experiencepreferred. 2 years of experience as a technical lead preferred.
- 5-10 years of experience in software engineering, application design, development and delivery of technical solutions
- 5 years of experience leading others
- Experience with Agile development practices
- Strong technical design and programming skills inclusive of: Solid understanding of HTML and CSS, Component-based design, , Java framework Spring or transferrable skills from similar technologies such as .NET, Ajax experience, including developing or working with services (RESTful or otherwise), Transaction design (OLTP, Batch, etc.), and SQL development experience (exposure to Oracle database development a plus)
- Technical experience with any of the following is a nice to have: Solr seach engine experience, MongoDB, or Node.js
- Cloud application development experience a plus
Job Specific & Technical Skills & Competencies
Business Knowledge & Partnership – Demonstrates the ability to build strong business partnerships with trust and collaboration. Suggests sound solutions that are in line with future technology direction. Effectively communicates (verbal, written and presentation ability) with peers, all levels of management and in manner consistent with the audience. Demonstrates an adaptive style that is flexible and effective in gaining cooperation of others.
Team Orientation – Build relationships with peers and team members to achieve objectives. Continually works to build connections with other departments to work as one team. Balances team and individual responsibilities and also exhibits objectivity and openness to other’s views. Gives and welcomes feedback always putting the success of team above own interest.
Leadership – Servant leadership mindset. Demonstrates the ability to set direction for entire technical team, removing barriers to ensure delivery on committed project dates. Coach and mentor team with regards to agile practices Influence change across the organization as we bring in best practices and new approaches. Demonstrate thought leadership. Drive transparency, team ownership, and motivated a workforce.
Job ID: 12741BR