Position Core Role:
Provide electrical hardware and software designs for automotive powertrain production equipment that complies with OSHA/NEC Standards, as required, and meets customer/Honda Engineering specifications and quality, cost & delivery targets.
- Reviews customer request and requirement documentation and identifies equipment change points.
- Designs electrical controls for new and existing production equipment.
- Performs engineering calculations (determines full-load current, short circuit current rating, etc.).
- Develops and maintains detailed design schedule and ensures milestones are met.
- Manages multiple projects.
- Creates equipment concepts and specifications that meet quality, cost and delivery requirements.
- Works with outside suppliers to ensure compliance of equipment specification.
- Supports machine build, debug and install.
- Generates hardwire schematics, assembly, layout and cable drawings using AutoCad.
- Develops software for PLC, HMI, Servo, Camera and other control devices.
- Presents, explains and justifies design within a technical review.
- Produces parts lists and generates parts order requisitions.
- Follows-up design for possible issues in manufacturing and mass production.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Basic PC skills with AutoCad 2004.
- Ability to analyze problems and implement improvements in existing designs and equipment.
- Project management experience
- Proficient in PLC Ladder Programming
- Knowledge of NEC and NFPA-79 Code
- Troubleshooting Skills of industrial controls
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of Mitsubishi and Allen-Bradley PLC, Servo Positioning, and HMI programming.
- Familiarity with CNC, Pneumatics, Hydraulics and Robotics.
- Knowledge of Control Reliable Safety Circuits and Safety PLC.
- Knowledge in Camera Vision Systems (Cognex/Fanuc IR).
- Understanding of common control networks (Ethernet IP, DeviceNet, CC-Link, etc.).
- Minimum of 3 months co-op experience in Electrical Controls Engineering.
- Bachelors of Science in Electrical Engineering or Electrical Engineering Technology or equivalent experience.
- Interact with associates from all levels and sections within Honda and all customers.
- Required to wear arc flash personal protection equipment to open live control panels.
- Must be physically capable of going into a machine shop environment to inspect equipment, verify physical dimensions. Equipment conditions range from new to older and may require entering equipment covered with various machine coolants/ oils.
- Must be willing to travel both domestic (95%) and internationally (5%) – up to 2 weeks at a time to Japan or other regions (5% total time is travel).
- Work is 85% office environment, 15% hands-on (line-side investigation, machine build/install and debug support)
- Willingness to work daily overtime and some weekends/holidays when necessary.