At Arup, our innovative spirit compels us to express our ingenuity in unique ways — engineering, planning, designing, and consulting on many of the most renowned projects in the built environment. We aim to deliver technical excellence, innovation, and value to clients, while maintaining our core mission of shaping a better world. The firm opened its first office over 70 years ago and now employs 13,000 people globally. Since its founding in 1946, members of Arup have developed transformative ways of working. Adapting to the ever changing environment, our work is focused on ambitiously reimagining a sustainable and resilient future for cities. Arup is rising to these new challenges: by bringing together broad-minded individuals from a wide range of disciplines, investing in research, innovating and creating better solutions for clients and the wider world.
MassMotion is a 3D application used by architects, engineers, and planners to analyze the movement of people through transit stations, theatres, offices, stadiums, and public spaces around the world. MassMotion simulations begin with a 3D model of an environment. Users then customize the environment and populate it with autonomous agents. Each agent uses a bespoke AI engine to navigate the environment based on user-defined goals, available routes, and congestion.
MassMotion is written in C++, leveraging a variety of open source APIs and custom 3D engine code. There is even a virtual reality component using Oculus Rift. The development team is small and works closely with users, to develop and test features. Upcoming roadmap items include analysis engine upgrades, connection to streaming data services, cloud strategy, SDK expansion, and human behavior modelling.
The successful candidate will be based in Arup’s Toronto offices at the intersection of Yonge and Bloor.
• Development of critical new features (C++) – this could include agent behaviours, scene management, and algorithm design.
• Interface with a broad user base to understand requirements and solicit feedback
• Validation of MassMotion results through comparison with real-world scenarios or results from other simulation packages.
• Maintaining the integrity of the code base through:
• Code reviews
• Version control
• Issue tracking
• Strong knowledge of object oriented design and programming, C++ experience preferred
• Interest in agent based AI, flocking, and emergent behaviour.
• Ability to work independently and solve technical problems with little supervision.
• Familiarity with 3D modeling and/or animation including the use of Maya, 3ds Max, Revit or SketchUp will be useful.
• Strong communication & collaboration skills