This role is part of Pfizer Essential Health (PEH) business unit. The Senior Manager Project Planner is responsible for the generation, management, and maintenance of high quality project schedules associated with the drug development teams supporting the operational/strategic delivery of new medicines to patients using advanced knowledge of drug development, resource management concepts, and associated business process. Reporting to the Director Planning, the Senior Manager Project Planner has advanced knowledge using scheduling and resource forecasting software (e.g., MS Project, and Planisware), as well as the definitions and standards, and associated systems and tools and may support several different types of schedules, which may include, but are not limited to: medicine, candidate / indication, clinical studies, end game/submission, rest of world submissions, maintenance, global expansion, differentiated drug delivery, and product launch planning.
S/he typically works within a cross-functional team environment but frequently leads/co-leads complex sub-team initiatives by developing and managing and applying skills and drug development knowledge that contribute to achieving team or department goals. The Senior Manager is expected to use a variety of communication methods and reporting/analytical tools to present complex ideas and critical project information to Portfolio Operations, asset, development/project and protocol teams, partner lines and others to support information updates, analysis and interpretation of planning and forecasting data to enable team, line and portfolio decision making. Additionally, s/he is expected to anticipate potential objections and have the ability to influence others. They collaborate across various organizations to provide input to best practices to recommendations for improvements or drives development of new technologies and continuous improvement of planning processes, tools, reports, systems.
The Senior Manager Project Planner may also be expected to periodically provide his/her expertise to the development of Pfizer-wide initiatives related to RAPID or other corporate project planning tools. S/he plays a key role in scenario planning; building schedule options and forecastingassociated development costs that depict various development options. They play an essential role in supporting the RAPID (Resource And Planning Insights for Decisions) program.
To effectively execute their primary duties s/he must possess an advanced knowledge of the principles, concepts, and theories of project management and executes their role by partnering with the Project/Program Managers and/or Portfolio Directors to create and maintain project schedules that enable effective planning and ensure project delivery and effective portfolio management and forecasting. The colleague is expected to apply technical, resource management, team and line knowledge along with advanced scheduling knowledge to contribute to the achievement of work team deliverables and goals.
- Responsible for coordinating, monitoring and reporting project schedule information to enable alignment of R&D and partner line schedules, FTE and dollar resources.
- Maintains and monitors project level data in support of effective portfolio management activities.
- Identifies and raises schedule conflict risks and resource peaks/troughs appropriately for resolution.
- Directly participates in and contributes to cross-functional and functional teams to discuss, review, and optimize protocol/project/programschedules, and resource management plans.
- Monitors progress of project activities towards next project milestone, anticipates and highlights potential variances, supports line/team in critical path analyses and understanding the impact, and partners with the PM/DD and the project team to identify/recommend solutions to schedulerisk
- Performs scenario planning within and across protocols, and within and across assets to enable optimum use of local, global, and outsourced resources to ensure efficient delivery project and portfolio commitments.
- Contributes to the validation of resource information at the project level with the project teams.
Project Execution and Delivery
- Working in close partnership with key team members (e.g., Pharmaceutical Sciences, Clinical, Regulatory, GPD, Commercial, etc.), manages the project to achieve key milestones according to the endorsed plan and time, cost and quality parameters.
- Provides the Portfolio Operations group with project schedule information to enable effective portfolio management activities.
- Supports negotiations in the allocation of line resources to support the endorsed development plan.
- Contributes to risk management through the identification of operational and project/program risks for discussion with appropriate team leadership. Proposed solutions or options to de-risk projects may require developing innovative options to resolve complex issues.
Analysis and Reporting
- Produces what-if scenario analyses (base, optimistic and pessimistic) based on context derived project team members (e.g., Portfolio and Project Management, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Clinical, Regulatory, Development Operations, Commercial, etc.). Decisions taken by the team based on these analyses may have significant impact on project/portfolio delivery and resultant impacts on costs and resources.
- Responsible to review own work regarding quality of schedule and resource metadata through utilization of quality reports and monitoring/management of such data with the team/line members.
- Provides timely reporting to the PM, PD, Portfolio Operations, and project teams, alerting them to the possibility of endangered/missed or conflicting milestones, critical path activities.
- Ensures regular information updates, analysis and interpretation of planning and forecasting data to project teams, portfolio operations, platforms lines and management teams.
- Utilizes available reporting and visualization tools to support governance and team reporting needs (e.g.,OnePager, Business Objects, Spotfire).
- Provides context to local customers of reports generated globally and consolidates customer feedback to enable improvement of existing reports and generation of new reports
- Project Planner partners with project team members (e.g., Portfolio and Project Management, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Clinical, Regulatory, Development Operations, Commercial, etc.) to identify opportunities and potential solutions to realize efficiencies.
- Contributes to continuous improvement of project plans, plan generation, planutilization, and reporting creating/developing processes, or systems/process integration.
- Collaborates with colleagues to ensure cross-team, cross-segment, cross-line, and site learnings, and best practices are shared.
- Promotes partner lines/teams taking ownership of data within planning tools to help them in management of their business.
- May provide training and mentorship to new and established users in planning systems, and associated operating procedures and reporting.
- Bachelors level degree or equivalent experience
- PMP certification preferred but not required
- 9+ years with B.S. or 7+ years with M.S