Nurse Manager - Obstetrics & Gynecology, Lexington Medical Center. Full-time.
Job Summary: The Nurse Manager provides clinical and administrative leadership for a defined patient care area(s). Responsibilities include 24-hour accountability for the quality, service excellence, workplace experience and financial outcomes. This includes fostering a patient centered professional work environment through the implementation of the Theory of Human Caring, the nursing process, staff development and collaborative team interactions for the enhancement of the quality of patient care. The Nurse Manager partners with the Medical Director to achieve goals to improve quality of care. Nurse manager position requires budgetary responsibilities and management of day to day operations of Labor & Delivery, Postpartum & Nursery.
Education / Experience: Graduation from an accredited school of nursing, MSN or Masters in related field required, BCLS required. Minimum of 6 years experience in nursing with a minimum of 4 years in related healthcare management.
Licensure, Certification and / or Registration: Active NC RN Licensure. Certification in specialty required within 1 year of hire.
1. Provides leadership to staff to ensure short and long term goals are met by developing standards of performance and capitalizing on employee strengths, supporting the Mission, Vision, Core Values and Evidence-based practice. Assures appropriate orientation, education, credentialing, and continuing professional development for personnel.
2. Collaborates effectively throughout the organization by developing collegial relationships and communicating information effectively, encouraging communication and serving as a resource to staff and other departments.
3. Coordinates nursing care with other healthcare disciplines and assists in integrating services across the continuum of care. Accountable for the quality and appropriateness of health care delivery and for the environment in which clinical nursing is practiced.
4. Quality: Promotes a culture of safety for patients, self, co-workers, and facility in conjunction with the Director of Nursing and Medical Director. Assumes responsibility for the Care Delivery Model by developing systems to monitor and measure the quality, safety and outcomes, and implementing performance improvement measures for identified metrics.
5. Customer Service: Ensures care is delivered with respect for patient's rights and preferences. Maintains privacy, confidentiality, and security for patients and staff. Facilitates resolution of conflicts, collaborates with Service Excellence to promote service recovery, and empowers staff in decision-making through shared governance.
6. Finance: Assumes responsibility with the Director of Nursing for the planning, development, implementation, and monitoring of the budgetary process for designated area(s). Assures nursing workload is measured and resources are allocated based on industry benchmarks and patient needs to optimize the provision of quality, cost effective care. Facilitates and monitors the appropriate utilization of staff based on credentialing, education and experience.
7. Work Place Environment: Ensures a biogenic environment which stimulates the ongoing professional development of staff in accordance with the principles of Shared Governance, Theory of Human Caring, and professional practice. Develops and fosters relationships that support the continuous enhancement of care delivery, and patient and staff satisfaction through a professional practice environment of mutual respect.
8. Demonstrates value for professional nursing practice including the utilization of current standards, the nursing process and patient advocacy. Taking responsibility for continuing education to develop best practices and maintain the highest level of patient care and staff development.
9. Patient Population Competencies: Ensures/provides appropriate patient care in accordance with specific patient population. Demonstrates and utilizes knowledge of the needs of the patient population specific to the defined clinical area. Maintains competency related to patient population and identifies strategies to meet related needs.
Skills and Qualifications:
Negotiation and conflict resolution
Nursing research and Evidence-based practice
Professional Nursing Practice and Management Theory
Resilient and flexible in a changing environment
Standards of clinical nursing practice
Strategic visioning and planning
Systems for patient safety
Functions effectively under stressful conditions and difficult situations
Excellent and effective written and verbal communication skills
Ability to work effectively with the team
Clean, well lit and comfortable climate
Potential exposure to contamination with bloody or bodily fluids, requiring protective equipment
Highly stressful, dynamic conditions
Required Protective Equipment:
Amount of time spent performing the following activities:
0% 35% 65%
to to to
35% 65% 100% N/A Activity
X Reaching with arms
X Finger and hand dexterity
Lifting, carrying, pushing and or pulling:
X 20 lbs. maximum
X 50 lbs. maximum
X 100 lbs. maximum
Job ID: 23175