Located in Florence KY R&D center, the Color Technology Leader will have responsibility for leading the global integration of color technology from recent and future acquisitions, and delivering on a deep pipeline of projects. Working with global T&I leaders, program managers and business leaders, the individual will also help shape the strategy and roadmap for this color technology. Simultaneously, he/she will also work with color technologists in the team, product development and analytical technologists as well as manufacturing and commercial functions to execute customer projects and deliver for the business. It is expected that the leader will coach and mentor less experienced scientists and eventually grow to assume leadership of the global color technology team in CE, a highly visible role that drives vision/strategy and bottom-line impact for color, appearance and haptics for all CE product lines.
- Manage the execution of color technology project pipeline. Work with T&I leaders to develop multi-generation color technology and product roadmap.
- New color product development in all Celanese EM resins systems including ETPs, TPEs, and some amorphous resins, with an emphasis on resins from acquisitions. Development efforts may include color formulation development, stabilization development, product additive enhancements, polymer modifications, and compounding process improvements.
- The individual will be responsible for gathering technical needs from customers (internal and external) to enable them to develop products which meet or exceed requirements. Projects are aligned with growth initiatives and market needs serving automotive, appliance, consumer, electrical/electronics, medical and other markets and applications.
- This job will require close collaboration with Customers, and internal Program Management, Commercial Teams, Manufacturing and otherTechnology & Innovation functions.
- Responsibilities include working closely with colorant, additive and equipment suppliers to stay current with state-of-the-art technologies.
- Coach and develop team members to enhance color team impact to the business
- Demonstrated industrial track record of commercialized color/appearance technology-based ETPs, TPEs or amorphous resins
- Demonstrated expertise in plastics color chemistry including relative performance of common pigments and dyes, potential interactions of colorants with resins and additives, and other usage concerns/restrictions
- Demonstrated understanding of plastics color theory including spectrophotometry, light sources, and color difference measurements
- Must possess normal color vision
- Demonstrated cross-functional leadership skills
- Proficiency in statistical techniques such as Design of Experiments (DoE)
- Ability to travel (up to 25%)
- Ability to manage multiple projects
- Excellent oral and written communication skills & leadership presence
- Experience with ETPs including acetal, polyester, and nylon resins, and unfilled, reinforced and impact modified versions of each
- Experience with TPEs, polypropylene and common amorphous resins
- Familiarity with regulatory approval processes including FDA, NSF and UL
- Experience/expertise in injection molding and part appearance problem solving techniques
- Experience/expertise in plastics UV stabilization technology and UV testing methodologies
- Experience/expertise in general plastics stabilization and additive technologies
- Experience/expertise in polymer product development processes
- Trained/experienced in Design For Six Sigma (DFSS) product development process"
- Experience leading teams with direct and in-direct reports desired
Required Yrs Exp:
Minimum of 7 years in the coloring of plastics industry
B.S. Degree or higher in Polymer Science, Chemistry, Chemical or Materials Science/Engineering.