Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in speciality glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
At Corning, our growth is fueled by a commitment to innovation. We succeed through sustained investment in research & development, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges. We are a four-time National Medal of Technology winner thanks to our technology leadership and R&D environment, which attract and enable the best scientific minds in the world. This pipeline of talent has brought life-changing innovation to your fingertips for more than 160 years.
Scope of Position:
Serve as manager for a department whose members’ primary functions are to serve as technical leaders/specialists in the areas of microscopy, surface analysis and structure characterization. In this role, the department works with projects to help them better understand materials at a fundamental level. Specific characterization associated with the Microscopy and Surface Analysis Department include: TEM, FIB, SEM, Optical, AFM, EPMA, XPS, SIMS, Tomography, XRD, NMR, Surface Energetics, Thermal Analysis and Rheology. The Microscopy and Surface Analysis Department consists of approximately 35 scientists and technicians.
The successful candidate should have a strong research record in the area of characterization sciences and/or materials science as well as having a strong understanding of the areas represented. He/she will manage the members of the department, including career development, promotion activities, budgets and capital plans. He/she will interface with numerous project groups in other organizations and also have opportunities to serve as a technical lead/expert or guide his/her members in R&D projects. The successful candidate must be comfortable in working with a broad range and highly diversified group of scientists and engineers across research and development. Presentations to upper management will be required.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
As Manager of the department, day to day activities involve providing guidance to employees and interfacing with other Managers and Directors to:
- Drive Safety at all levels of lab activity
- Foster teamwork with clear communication, collaboration, and vision
- Provide hands-on leadership in problem solving to ensure timely delivery of materials understanding and problem solving
- Identify and prioritize projects and deploy resources to support them
- Identify gaps and opportunities in capabilities and develop strategies to resolve
- Identify the proper testing methods and develop new methods if needed
- Develop and manage testing plans
- Make recommendations to projects to improve materials understanding through characterization
- Develop new intellectual property
- Variable but expectation is <25%. International travel is probable.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
- 40+ hour work week with flexible schedule
- A minimum of a Master’s Degree in materials science/engineering or closely related field.
RequiredYears and Area of Experience:
- A minimum of 5 years management experience.
- Strong management and organizational skills
- Experience in an industrial research and development laboratory setting
- Ability to lead a diverse team of research scientists and technicians
- Experience with people management including career development and promotion process
- Excellent communication and presentation skills in all directions (up, down, sideways)
- Strong track record of research & development with emphasis on characterization sciences or other technical areas of the department
- Ability to develop teamwork and collaborate within and across departmental/organizational boundaries
- Familiarity with equipment and test methods used in materials testing
- Ability to work across organizational boundaries from research to manufacturing
- Customer facing interaction and communication skills/experience
- Demonstrated ability to define and solve problems, implement solutions to improve products or processes
- Experience with microscopy, surface and structure analysis of high tech materials
- Broad industrialexperience; Manufacturing, Research, Development, Engineering
- Ability to work on and solve complex problems requiring attention to details
- Creative/innovative, strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Effective coaching, mentoring skills.
Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership):
- Ability to operate effectively in a matrix environment
- Open and engaged with the customer
- Results oriented and customer focused
- Ability to work as a team player and with diverse teams
- Excellent time management skills and able to handle multiple priorities
- The ability to translate difficult technical concepts to broader audience
- Adaptable/flexible to work in projects of various topics or at various innovation stages
- Ability to take feedback constructively and use it for personal growth
- Comfortable with hands-on approach to problem solving
- Team player who enjoys collaboration
- Attention to details and able to manage multiple engagement/projects at a given time
- “Can-do” attitude and able to complete tasks independently
Req #: 496