Under general supervision of the Senior EDW DBA, the EDW DBA Specialist, IT Manager, or the Director: designs, manages and maintains all production and non-production databases, software systems, relational data marts, analytical cubes, analytical reports/dashboards and third party IT products. The IT EDW DBA contributes to planning, design, development, release management, troubleshooting and support of database components, software systems, ETL/Stored Procedure code and third party IT products. This position is responsible for standards and design of physical data storage, maintenance, access, and security administration. The responsibilities also include troubleshooting warehousing application and/or data issues when they arise. You will communicate solutions, issues, and risks directly with technical management or otherresponsible entities.
EDW DBA designs and implements data strategy methods, data warehouse components, data marts, analytical cubes, SQL queries/ETL code, configures database parameters for simple to moderately complex data warehousing environment; prototypes designs against logical data models; defines data repository requirements, data/metadata dictionaries. This individual optimizes database access, indexes, views and allocates/re-allocates database resources for optimum configuration, database performance and cost. The EDW DBA supports multiple services and multiple databases of low to medium complexity (complexity defined by database size, structure, technology used, systems feeds and interfaces) with multiple concurrent users, ensuring control, integrity and accessibility of data. The EDW DBA is part of an IT team that is accountable for production support (including on-call duties in a 24x7 environment) as well as new data warehousing projects. The EDW DBA will work with Infrastructure DBA and Wintel teams to ensure appropriate security, backup, and recovery on Database Management Systems.
The ideal candidate will have experience using analytical skills to seek out, research and evaluate a variety of options to provide clients with high quality, efficient business processes and solutions that promote efficiency and enterprise-wide standardization.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Contributes to planning, design, and development of data warehouses, data marts, and related software systems.
- Optimizes and Supports data warehouses, data marts, software and hardware systems including third party products and software upgrades on 24X7 on call basis including at off-business hours as directed by the management.
- Designs and implements data warehousing components, ETL, Analytical Cubes, Stored Procedures, Complex SQL queries to support Dashboards and reports.
- Administers operational activities to refresh data marts, analytical cubes, indexing and performance tuning of various data warehousing components.
- Coaches data warehousing programmers to write efficient SQL, SSIS and SSAS code
- Monitors database, operating system and user activities, and ensures necessary resources are present so that systems function properly by removing or deleting old or obsolete files/resources.
- Develops complex data retrieval queries and optimizes data queries within programs for performance and maintainability. Determines data to collect and analyzes information as appropriate.
- Analyzes and determines informational needs and elements, data relationships and attributes, proposed manipulation, data flow and storage requirements, and data output and reporting capabilities for complex databases. Recommends and implements course of action based on analyses.
- Defines logical attributes and inter-relationships and designs complex data structures to accommodatedatabase production, storage, maintenance and accessibility to enhance performance.
- Defines and manage user roles, access and permissions to access database and other system resources.
- Installs, implements and supports complex systems within user base; creates and updates database installation instructions and design changes for client use.
- Monitors and coordinates installation and upgrades of hardware and software as necessary to enhance database performance. Researches various hardware and software products; recommends solution and implements approved products.
- Provides work guidance and leadership to less experienced personnel. Acts as technical project leader on assigned projects.
- Utilizes standard corporate tools to record changes and problem activities for tracking and resolution purposes.
- Participates in cost analysis studies to determine feasibility of approaches.
- Collaborates with work teams, departments, system leadership, staff, other IT groups, and technology vendors to define needs and facilitate solutions.
- Ensures proper documentation and on-time delivery of all technical artifacts and deliverables.
- Keeps abreast of new Tools & Technology and functionalities across the solution domain.
- Promotes teamwork and leads by example.
- Initiates a personal training plan, continue acquiring skills and knowledge, and pursue an understanding of the organization’s business plans and strategies.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degreerequired; Master’s degreepreferred.
- 5 years of applicable work experiencerequired, 3 years as a DBA in data warehousing environment; experience in a Healthcare setting preferred.
- Experience with Epic Clarity and Epic Cogito is preferred
- Strong experience in data warehousing programming.
- Strong experience of Microsoft Technologies, including .Net, SSIS and SSAS.
- Ability to work off hours in 24X7 production support environment
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to peer review functional and technical tasks
- Proven ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Ability to be flexible and work analytically in a problem-solving environment.
- Good organizational, multi-tasking, and time-management skills.
- Good understanding of HIPAA data Privacy and Security requirements.